Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/6th Battalion, West Yorkshire Regiment

GraemeClarke

Hi,

Can anyone help me with a small problem I have.

I could do with a peek at the War Diary for the 1/6th Battalion, West Yorkshire Regiment for Thursday 25 April 1918.

I am trying to find out what happened to Lieutenant Colonel William Allsop WISTANCE and need to know if he is mentioned.

Many thanks,

Graeme

Graeme see if you can get hold of The History of the Sixth Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment, By Capt E V Tempest.

The information you requirewill be in this book.

Regards as always Kevin

I tried to reply to this thread earlier but my response never made it to the forum!

Graeme, I have the Tempest book Kevin has signposted you to. I'll happily look your colonel up for you, but you'll have to wait until I get home unfortunately.... my boss is singularly unaccommodating!

If you PM your email address to me I'll photograph the relevant passages.

Cheers,

Nigel

Hello Graeme,

You should now have 3 emails from me.

The first is the scan of Lt Colonel Wistance DSO MC, portrait photo as it appears in the book, with caption.

The second is the first batch of 8 pages of the text taking you from 24 -25 April 1918.

The third is the secons batch of 8, 16 in total and this ends the description of the desperate action the battalion fought, with a brief summing up of casualties etc.

If anything is missing or unusable, just let me know and I'll have another go at it.

All the best,

Nigel

Nigel,

All received and absolutely brilliant. It has cleared up a problem in my research and the photo of him is perfect.

Can I publically thank Nigel, he must have spent a lot of time and effort sending me the information. It really is much appreciated.

Thank you,

Graeme

You're very welcome, Graeme.

It's good to know that it helped you sort out a problem too. That's what it's all about.

Cheers,

Nigel