Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

19/MGC

nthornton1979

Neil,

Many thanks for the offer, I could do with 2 dates if you dont mind.

Wednesday 10 April 1918

Monday 2 September 1918

A long shot, I know, but does the diary continue into 1919, Friday 27 June 1919 specifically, I have a man

Private 12434 Harold BOLTON sucumbing to an illness this day.

Regards

Graeme

Graeme,

Here is the 10th April (the rest will follow when time allows)

HOLLEBEKE - ROOZEBEEK. "D" Company 10 guns - disposed in depth from Ravine Wood - Rose Wood line backwards. HQ in Oosttaverne Wood.

ROOZEBEEKE to WAMBEKE. "C" Comapny 8 Guns - disposed of in depth with HQ in Leg Copse.

WAMBEKE to DOUVE. Composite company of I section from each Comapny - 16 guns, with HQ just South of Messines.

Battalion HQ and the transport were located at Neuve Eglise - 30 guns been in reserve there.

On the morning of the 10th April, shortly after 2:30am the enemy comenced a heavy bombardment, including H.E and gas shells ,along the whole front.

06:30am - Apparently the enemy launched his infantry attack at about this hour from the Wambeke Southwards. Retirement of the troops South of this stream was reported by the centre Company, who formed a defensive flank from Mahieu Farm to Pike House, in conjunction with the infantry.

09:45am - 12 guns moved off to report to 57th Brigade.

10:00am - Right Company Commander (HQ just East of Messines) reported heavy shelling round his HQ. also owing to thick mist he was unable to say whether infantry attack had commenced.

10:30 - 12 guns to 58th Brigade.

11:30am - Centre Company moved its HQ to left Company HQ, its guns coming under control of "D" Company.

12:00 Midday - O.C Battalion went forward to 57th Brigade HQ located North Midland Farm near which HQ the 12 guns detailed to report.

57th HQ were in position.

By this time the enemy were reported in Messines Village. No reports were received from the Right MG Coy and it seems probable that the majority of this Company became casualties, only one gun team getting back.

01:30pm - Rear HQ and transport moved to Dranoutre Locre (Cocre ?) Road.

02:10pm - At about this hour enemy launched infantry attack against Left Company, and shortly afterwards the two forward guns of this Company were surrounded, two men only escaping.

The 12 guns of "A" Company sent to report to 58th Brigade were now in position in the Blue Line to the rear of Wytschaete.

By 3pm at least three guns of left Company had been knocked out. Heavy machine gun fire from Ravine Wood. Infantry withdrew from Denys Wood owing to the enemy advance up the Roozebeek. A defensive flank was immediately formed with two machine guns by Left Company. They were reinforced by two more guns by 4pm.HQ to Onraets Farm. One gun sent to protect Royal Welsh Fusiliers, right flank near Leg Copse.

By 6pm the guns at Mahieu Farm had been put out of action. Also two guns in Manchester Trench.

05:45pm The South Afrcan Brigade counter attacked Messines Village. They were unsuccesful owing to heavy machine gun fire.The first attack was supported by the overhead fire of the 12 guns of "B" Company near North Midland Farm.

By 6:30pm Left (D) Company had 6 guns remaining, 4 in reserve from Goudezeune Farm to Lesigne Farm, and two at Goudezeune Farm.

Centre Company two guns remaining.

Right Company 1 at North Midland Farm.

Total in line 24, with one gun returned from right Composite Company in reserve at North Midland Farm.

7:30pm - Heavy machine gun fire from Oosttaverne Wood. Enemy attacked reserve line.

During the whole of the day the enemy shell fire was very heavy.

A bit more info for the 10th.

There was 3 Companies (34 guns) holding the line that day.

Neil

Neil,

Many thanks for the info, much appreciated.

In regard to the WD for April 1918, I've double checked my research. The CWGC states 10/4/18 but the SDGW record 18/4/18.

From your knowledge of the WD can you say which is more likely ? From your reply I tend to agree with CWGC.

Thanks again, I didn't expect the WD to be so full !!

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme,

The actual war diary entry for the 10th was quite vague. Luckily there was an action report attached which is what I posted.

Here is the entry for the 18th :

3:30-6:00am - Heavy shelling of our lines. One gun damaged but immediately replaced from reserve. No infantry attack followed until 5:00pm when small parties of the enemy attempted to creep up the valley in N 34a. Most of these became casualties.

On the night of the 18th a Division of French relieved 19th Division, and all guns were withdrawn by 5am to transport lines nearVentourtre.

There's no mention of casualties on this day so in all probability your man was killed on the 10th.

Cheers

Neil

Graeme,

Not much on the 2nd September 1918. All it says is :-

1 O/R killed. 2 O/R wounded.

The place looks like 'Annetin' (?)

Nothing on June 1919 I'm afraid. It only goes to March of that year. If he died of illness then he may have been evacuated and died at home ?

Cheers

Neil

Hi Neil,

My grandfather Acting Lieutenant Claude Shipman was in charge of guns "11 and 12" of C Coy, 19th MGC from 10th-19th April 1918, so I was fascinated to read the action report for the 10th which you posted. I would be very grateful if you would post what you have for 11th-19th, if that's not too much to ask.

Hugh Shipman

Hello Hugh,

Here is the 11th April (the rest to follow) :-

?am - "C" & "D" (Left & Centre) Coys HQ moved under orders of 58th Brigade to point West of Vierstraat.

03:30am - The remaining guns - 8 - of "C" & "D" Coys were withdrawn from reserve line with Royal Welsh Fus.

05:30am - 6 additional guns from transport lines sent to Regents Dug-outs, HQ of "A" Company, making total on that line 18, disposed on a line from In De Kruisstraat Cab (t) to the Spranbroekmolen, thus forming a defensive flank down the Wytschaete - Kemmel Road. 9th Battn MGC was found to be taking up positions on Kemmel - Viersraat Line.

08:45am - Rear HQ to Birr Barracks.

During the greater part of the day, beyond fairly heavy shelling, there was nothing to report - the only guns in action been those on the right of Spranbroekmolen.

2:00pm - 57th Brigade to Daylight Corner.

3:00pm - The Division on Right of 19th Division having fallen back slightly , 2 guns at Midland Farm were transfered to S. side of Messines - Wulverghem road to form defensive flank.

11:00pm - 57th Brigade moved to dug-outs on S side of Kemmel Hill.

Thanks again Neil,

I posted the contents of my grandfather's dispatch book here:-

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...showtopic=77426

From that, it looks like the Spanbroekmolen position held from 11th to 13th April, implying a stuff resistance and orderly falling back onto the Army Line in front of Kemmel.

Hugh

12th April

12:30 - 4 guns were withdrawn from vicinity of North Midlands Farm, and disposed with 57th Brigade relieved by 108 on Neuve Eglise - Lindenhoek Road.

1:00am - Troops withrawn to forward slope of high ground East of Wulverghem.

06:30am - Enemy seen to be advancing on Messines Road front in small parties. They were engaged throughout the day with machine guns, and heavy casualties inflicted on them. Right Company HQ to East of Wulverghem Village.

?am - Viersraat Switch Line reconoitred by "C" & "D" Coys under orders of 58th Brigade.

2:30pm - One gun of Right Company engaged two enemy machine guns, dispersing teams and putting one of the guns at least out of action.

6pm - Enemy shelling became very heavy, during the afternoon in front of Wulverghem, and because intense shortly after 6pm gas shells being used. The enemy then attacked and drove out troops back about 500 yards, which ground however was nearly all regained by an immediate counter-attack. Machine gun opened fire on retiring enemy.

9pm - "C" & "D" Companys moved to Jamaica Camp, La Clytte. During night, 3 remaing guns of Right were withdrawn from vicinity of North Midland Farm. The section with 57th Brigade remained in action.

9pm - "C" & "D" Companys moved to Jamaica Camp, La Clytte. During night, 3 remaing guns of Right were withdrawn from vicinity of North Midland Farm. The section with 57th Brigade remained in action.

The local British commanders seem to have had the giving of ground under control, as these companies are given a day away from the front. It explains dispatch of the 13th, enquiring who is to be relieved by C Coy at the Spanbroekmolen crater.

Graeme, Glad to be of assistance :)

Hugh,

Thanks for the link, very interesting indeed !

Here's a bit more info for the 11th

11th April 1918 - Rear Btn HQ and Transport moved to Birr Barracks, Locre. Capt F P Davis and Lieut J Anderson reported missing. 2/Lieut MC Gregory, C H Howarth, E D Jones and L F Maxwell reported wounded.

13th April - 12 Noon - "C" and "D" Companys, under orders of 58th Brigade, moved to Au Pommier Estaminet.

The 6 guns of these two Companys were attached to 9th Battalion, Welsh Regt. and during the afternoon moved off to take up the line from near Lindenhoek through Spy Farm to Beav?? St. in conjunction with 6 guns of "A" Company at that time in that locality.

HQ of "A", "C" & "D" Companies were located at Regents Dug-outs.

14th April - This day was spent in re-organising the gun teams, cleaning gun material and getting up supplies of ammunition and belt boxes. No infantry attack took place on the Divisional front.

15th April - 6:00am - The enemy opened a heavy bombardment along the whole front which lasted til 10:00am. At about 10:30am the enemy were reported in R.E Farm. No details of the attack are forthcoming. Company HQ moved to Spy Farm. The 4 guns attached to 57th Brigade which had been in action between Lindenhoek and Neuve Eglise were withdrawn to Kemmel Hill and placed under a fresh Officer with a few extra men to each gun. Kemmel Hill was shelled with H.E.

57TH Brigade HQ moved to Fairy House.

I've written out fully the dispatch for the 14th, as it gives a good picture of reorganising in a period of calm

14th April - This day was spent in re-organising the gun teams, cleaning gun material and getting up supplies of ammunition and belt boxes. No infantry attack took place on the Divisional front.

14.4.18 –

CS 21 12.30pm To Captain S. Warren: My guns are dug in as your suggestion.I have measured their exact position and find it to be N28 a40. There is plenty of Boche observation by day. I have told them not to expose themselves too much. RE: Rations I will send my men with Mr. Coates when his go up.When the Gold Flake arrives you won't forget to send me some will you?

To Sergt. Linnell: As you are under direct obeservation please keep your men down as much as possible & do not allow stragglers to keep passing over the gun positions.

1PM – To Capt. Warren: The cooks at your end have stolen half of my loaf of bread. I am awfully short. Would you ask them to return it please. Also if you have any butter of mine will you send some up.

COPY OF LETTER JUST RECEIVED: 4000 Rds. At each emplacement. Camoflage all emplacements. Aiming sticks to be laid for each field of fire. All gun tripods mounted. All proper sentry duties to be carried out. Collect sandbags and strengthen emplacements.

Rations: Men for rations report here at 6.30pm. To Sgt Linnell: Have sent for 4 men per team for SHA

14.4.18 CS22 6.25PM To Captain Warren:

List of my teams and HQ

HQ

2nd Lt C Shipman

Sergt Linnell

Pte Walton 117826

Pte Burgin 66391

Ple LM Bushon(?) 131722

1st Team 2nd Team

Cpl Potts L/C Denyer

Pte Scruton Pte Barker

Pte Andrews Pte Robinson

Pte Burke Pte Bennett J.

Pte Proudfoot Pte Bow

Pte Parton Pte Craggs

Pte Browne A. Pte Blezan

Pte Richards Pte Bridge

Pte Waller

Pte Scruton has not been seen since last night & no-one knows where he is. This is the second time.

9.15pm To 2nd LT Mallet: Parcel & 5 letters h/w which please acknowledge. PS Have you a refill for a field message book?

Good stuff Hugh !

16th April:

2:45am - The line was withdrawn as ordered, Regents Trench becoming the front line.

Company HQ moving to Taffin Farm. During the day two guns at N.29c.25.40 fired 12,000 rounds at parties of parties of the enemy advancing down the slopes towards R.E Farm, many casualties being inflicted.

7:45pm - During a heavy hostile bombardment these two guns were knocked out but were replaced by two guns withdrawn from the 57th Brigade Sector and which had joined "D" Company earlier in the day.

57th Brigade HQ moved at mid-day from Fairy House to Scherpenberg.

17th April:

10:20am - Enemy attacked on the right and were observed in large numbers in square N.33.b and d.

Two guns in reserve at Wollandhoek were got in action at N.28.c. firing 4000 rounds. The guns at N.27.d.45.25 fired 5000 rounds at targets at ranges of between 200 to 300 yards, inflicting heavy casualties upon the enemy.

10:50am - The artillery opened fire and at 11:00am the enemy were observed retiring. The remainder of the day was quiet.

Neil

18TH APRIL:

3:30-6:00am - Heavy shelling of our lines. One gun damaged but immediately replaced from reserve. No infantry attack followed until 5:00pm when small parties of the enemy attempted to creep up the valley in N.34.a. Most of these became casualties.

On the night of the 18th a French Division relieved 19th Division , and all guns were withdrawn by 5am to transport lines near Westoutre.

Nothing for 19th April

Neil

all guns were withdrawn by 5am to transport lines near Westoutre.

That's the action on the 19th.

The French relief troops had four further days of relative calm before the German thrust towards Kemmel, which was directly behind the19th Division position.

My deepest thanks Neil - that was one of the two war diaries I wanted most to read. The other being 35th MGC, Sept-Nov 1918.

Attached is a photo of my grandfather Claude a Temporary Gentleman, taken before he sailed for Flanders, 26.3.19

Neil, you're a top bloke - anything I can do for you etc,

Hugh

post-19252-1267043401.jpg

• 14 years later...
On 14/02/2010 at 14:39, nthornton1979 said:

I have the complete diary.

If anyone needs a look-up please let me know.

Neil

Neil,

I don't know if you are still active on the forum but I am interested in what was happening on 28 Apr 1918 when Samuel Fenton was wounded. he later died of wounds on 8 May 1918

Tony