Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Bn Loyal north Lancs war diary

barrowford29

Hello. I found out today that my great great grandfather Sgt. Harry Smith served with this battalion and wondered if anyone had this war diary please?

Thanks very much.

• 6 months later...

Hi

I don't have the diary but there is one at the Queens Lancashire Regimental Musuem, Fulwood, Preston. I will be going on Saturday 18th September and can have a look if you have a specific date you need. If that is to long for you to wait you can contact them via there website and arrange to visit to look at the dairy yourself - the curator is really helpful. I think you can book to do your own research Tuesday - Thursday 10 am - 4 pm. Saturday opening has started recently. It is always best to contact them first if you are making a longish trip as the council chamber is sometimes in use.

Jennifer

Hello. I found out today that my great great grandfather Sgt. Harry Smith served with this battalion and wondered if anyone had this war diary please?

Thanks very much.

Hi i was wondering didn't you have a group of medals to a Lt Isaac Wallis smith MC RE some time ago

MC

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jane-maria

Hello everyone

I am really green behind the ears! and I hope that I don't make too many mistakes or offend anyone with my ignorance - its my first attempt!

My sincere wish is to find out as much as I can re: my Gt. Uncle John Henry Ball who served in the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment, 1st Battalion.

I am led to believe that he first enlisted in 1913 as Private 38538 later changed to 26915.

Sadly he was killed on the Western Front on 12 November 1917 aged 24 and is buried at Passchendaele British War Cemetary, Zonnebekewest Vlaaderen Belgium.

He was awarded the British Medal & Victory Medal, he is remembered on the CWWG site, also in Liverpool's book of Remembrance in the Anglican Cathedral, Hall of Rememberance, Liverpool Town Hall and St. Anthony's Church Scotland Road Kirkdale Liverpool.

An Uncle who was keeper of John Henry's artifacts was the victim of a robbery and all was stolen, including his photograph!

I am determined to find out as much as I can, how he died, what his medals would have looked like? I recall as a child a medal about 4 -5 inches in diameter I have since found out , its nickname is the Dead Mans Penny?

Are there diaries for John Henry's Battalion and how would I find out how he really died?

I am unable to visit any locations in the UK as I now reside in Vancouver Canada

My fingers are crossed that someone out there can help

Jane-Maria

• 1 month later...

Hi Jane-Marie

The 1st Battalion Diary is at the musuem and I can look on the 20th November when I am next there. Someone who has the diary at home might get back to you before then.

When you have made either 5 or 10 posts you can send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send you some extracts from the regimental history about the 1st Battalion which will give you some idea about the service of the battalion up until the date of death. For the 12th the regimental history says,

"The Battalion accordingly advanced to the support area about Kron Prinz Farm, and on the 11th moved up to the front line with three companies, the fourth being in support. The relief was a somewhat complicated one and was not completed till early on the 12th.

On the morning of this day the enemy opended a heavy bombardment from his guns which he had succeeded in moving to a position from which he could reach the ridge held by our troops, while the British artillery, practically immobile in the deep mud, could not make any adequate reply."

Regards

Jennifer