Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has anyone got a map please

dobbin

Colin

Please pm me your email address - file is too large to post

Andy

This might get you working until you get Andy's scan. All the coordinates are in these 4 squares.

Dated 24th September - care of Linesman

post-28845-1266097171.jpg

Jim

Jim you come up trumps for me 2 days in a row that's good news. This one is a family member that I have been working on for yonks and I was so encouraged by the success of my last request for a friend that you helped me with I thought I would have a try on my own account for my own family member. I have visited the site before without Landsman and felt I had got close .Last year I was with a group and we literally went past the site again and had a Landsman buff on board but alas we could not stop. Now I will take another look but this time the information is a bit more accurate. I did not PM you on this one as I thought that D L I might be your main interest but I can see you are really a keen map enthusiast. Thanks very much indeed. Colin

Jim I might as well continue with my cheeky questions do you have anything on the Arras area please? The brother of this man who was KIA at Eaucourt was himself killed on 15 April 1917 at I am calling Gavrelle. This London lad found himself arriving in France and presumably being sent to make up the considerable losses in The 10 Dublin Fusiliers, who were attached to the 63rd Div. On the 14th April they arrived at Bailleul Gavrelle by bus and in the diary it appears to say they elbowed their way up to the trench with the 4th Bedfords on the left. The map reference given is B27 51b NW I am not sure thats a complete desription but that's what the officer has written. It goes on to say that there was no artillery support and then continues with that familiar note we have read so often that they came under machine gun fire and the attack was unsuccessful. Then they moved back to the Blue line on ref B25 and went to work on the St Nicholas to Balliel Rd at ref 51BNW. If you have any thing on that I would appreciate it as I have found information on this harder to come by. Thjanks Colin

I will email you this map along with the other one

Andy

Those co-ordinates have been really helpful to me, thank you for posting them. I have downloaded them onto a modern IGN which gives an excellent perspective.

Mick

Andy thanks and its good of you to do both of them. I am looking forward to seeing them and keeping them safe for my next visit and getting closer to the spot this time Colin

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25612069@N05/4353888649/

I have posted the Operations Order on this flikr link. I have a very poor map which is hardly readable and I am trying to mark in the map references as detailed in this order. If anyone has a better map I would be very pleased of the help Colin

Hi

If you are interested I've got a map of the opposing lines at 18/10/16, showing the gains made by the British attack. If you PM me your email address I'll happily scan it for you

Regards

Martin