Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Names missing from CWGC files

brownag

I have three men listed on what I'm assuming is a CWGC memorial in the Eastern Cemetery in Edinburgh.

The Memorial lists 18 men buried in a military plot in the cemetery but three of them do not turn up in the online CWGC register, and are not in the 1931 IWGC register for Edinburgh. Before I contact the CWGC can anyone suggest why they are not included?

They are:

Gunner W Bruce Royal Marine Artillery RMA/646 died 12.10.1915

Corporal J Drawbell 2994 Gordon Highlanders died 25.5.1917

Private T. Nisbet 2502 Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders died 16.10.1917

I have seen discharged men listed on the CWGC database so I'm discounting that theory.

Cheers

Adam

Adam

Have a look at an earlier theme on "Soldiers", titled "Samuel Hamer" (last post 9th May).Terry Denham gave me a clear answer for this same question.

Myrtle

The memorial is not an official CWGC memorial but may be one used to record names of those whose graves are unmaintainable for some reason. These occur frequently in large local authority owned cemeteries.

I am away from home at the moment and cannot check my records. If you can wait till Sunday, I'll check them out for you.

There are numerous reasons why their names appear but are not in CWGC's list. Died after discharge of non-war related cause is the most likely but I'll see what I can find out.

Also, remember that, when referring to the original CWGC 1920s/30s registers for the UK, they are often short of many names. Names continued to be added after publication and are still being adding today! If you want an update to the Edinburgh register (or anywhere else in UK) email me off Forum.

Terry

I have had another look at the register and the three names are added at the end of the Eastern Cemetery list as 'There are also buried in this cemetery' if that means anything specific

Cheers

Adam

Adam

As I can't yet look at my copy of the register, thanks for the info.

That statement means that these will be Non-World War Dead. They will be non-qualifying ex-servicemen who died after discharge (could have been discharged years before the war or, more likely, died of a non-war related cause after leaving the forces).

Some of the early registers included mentions of such names - often because they had been buried in war plots in the cemetery. These former soldiers were often accorded the honour of being buried with the war dead particularly if they had war service in their record. These graves are not War Graves however.

Again, I'll double check on Sunday when I get home.

Adam

Now that I am back home, I have checked the three names you quote.

They are, indeed, recorded by CWGC as 'Non-World War Dead in CWGC Care'. This confirms that they are non-qualifying ex-servicemen who are buried in a war plot in CWGC care.

They do appear in CWGC's database but in a section not yet available on the internet. The two sections of their database not yet available to the public are (1) Foreign Nationals in CWGC Care and (2) Non-World War Dead in CWGC Care.

I have access to these sections if anyone wants any details.