Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What medals are these please?

CarylW

Can anyone identify the medals pictured here please?

I have tried to look at/in various on and offline resources, but what they look like to me are probably not what they really are! :blink:

Thanks

Caryl

post-8866-1265987181.jpg

It looks like the order of Leopold I. A Belgian award. It came in different grades but don't know why there are 2.

I agree. Belgian. Could be an Order of Leopold 1 with and Order of Leopold 2 - identical from front, different ribbons.

Is your pic of an old British Veteran, as there were lots of veterans medals givan out during the 20/30s to them for fighting in the First World War. This one is a Veterans medal from the town of Albert/Somme

post-7206-1265997757.jpg

Is your pic of an old British Veteran, as there were lots of veterans medals givan out during the 20/30s to them for fighting in the First World War. This one is a Veterans medal from the town of Albert/Somme

Are you sure it's from the town of Albert? The man whose head appears on the medal is King Albert. (Albert, King of the Belgians).

Tom

Monstar, the picture you posted is Belgian. This is the medal of The Veterens of King Albert medal 1909-1934 - in fact it should have that inscribed on the reverse. Hope you didn't pay a premium for it!

Mick

Thanks for all replies. OK, read information on the order of Leopold I. A Belgian award and I'm still mystified. What on earth would someone have to do to be awarded not one but two of these awards? It's a bravery award I see but wonder what he did?. "...Belgian nationals or some distinguished foreign persons who made very important contributions to the Belgian state or society........The decoration was established on 11 July 1832 and is awarded for extreme bravery in combat or for meritorious service of immense benefit to the Belgian nation

Is he wearing a British dress uniform? (sorry I'm as thick as a plank when it comes to medals and uniforms!) or is he a Belgian?

The photo was taken in Rhyl, so if he isn't a local then Kinmel camp is a possibility?

Bought this in a car boot sale and because the picture was quite faded it was hard (for me) to know what time period it's from. Thought at first the two medals were VC's, because to the naked eye the Maltese Crosses stood out and it was only when I scanned and enlarge the medal section at home that I could see that they were all wrong for VC's, pointy ribbon, a crown above the cross, decoration visible around the cross etc. and only three people and he isn't one of them etc...

The photo was in a box on the floor with a lot of junk and the seller seemed very cagey about letting me buy it and at one point grabbed it out of my hand and put it in the back of his van before changing his mind and letting me have it!! Maybe because me and husband looked very interested in it, he may have thought it was 'something' worth hanging on to.

Caryl