Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Manchester/East Lancs Regt. Enlistment.

Stephen Barker

Is it possible that several soldiers from Wigan enlisted there in the Manchester Regiment, their papers were sent to Fulwood where it was decided that the Manchester Regt. had enough recruits at that point and that these men should go into the East Lancs instead. Result: Formerly enlisted in the Manchester Regt. in soldiers died, but serving with 8th East Lancs.

I'm working on the theory that both East Lancs and Manchesters' enlistment papers were processed at Fulwood in Preston. Why - because Silver War Badge awards are all classified together under Preston at Kew - not just these two units, but also Kings Liverpool, Loyals etc. etc

Or is this nonsense?

As ever grateful for your thoughts.

John Hartley and Croonaert I'd value your input if it's convenient.

Thanks

Stephen

Stephen

Not only convenient but I come bearing useful information.

I'm pretty sure you're on the right track here. During my research, i've come across a couple of references to "the records office at Preston". One is certainly a Manc (can't recall the second). It must have been a sort of regional admin centre.

I recall someone asking the question about these Wigan guys some months ago. was it you? I think Dave and I speculated reasons at the time.

John

It must have been a sort of regional admin centre.

It was, and remained so for quite a while.

Preston was where all the admin was done when my dad joined up in the 1950's and he joined the King's Own. After his de-mob (by which time he was in the Manchesters), all the admin was yet again done at Preston. His (re)call-up papers for Suez in 1956 also ordered him to report to Preston.

Preston was also where I had to originally report when I joined in the late '80s, but that's not too surprising, as it was the QLR!

It strikes me that ,even though Fulwood is the Regtl. HQ of the QLR (old ELR, LNL, and SLR), it seems that it was a "area" admin centre no matter what the unit.

Hope this helps,

Dave. (another example in my family is that of my wife's grandad. He enlisted in the Border Regiment, but, being from Burnley, he reported to........ that's right, Preston!)

Dave and John,

Thanks for these postings.

Does anyone else have a view?

Thanks

Stephen

You`re right Croo, I was conscripted into REME in 1955 from Blackburn and documented at - you`ve guessed it - Fulwood. Though I actually went elsewhere for training. I always assumed it was the Documentation Centre for all army personnel in the NW area and a training unit for some local infantry units. Did E.Lancs Regt or King`s Own men go there? Phil B

• 1 year later...
Is it possible that several soldiers from Wigan enlisted there in the Manchester Regiment, their papers were sent to Fulwood where it was decided that the Manchester Regt. had enough recruits at that point and that these men should go into the East Lancs instead.  Result: Formerly enlisted in the Manchester Regt. in soldiers died, but serving with 8th East Lancs. 

I'm working on the theory that both East Lancs and Manchesters' enlistment papers were processed at Fulwood in Preston.  Why - because Silver War Badge awards are all classified together under Preston at Kew - not just these two units, but also Kings Liverpool, Loyals etc. etc

Or is this nonsense?

As ever grateful for your thoughts.

John Hartley and Croonaert I'd value your input if it's convenient.

Thanks

Stephen

stephen the medal ledgers i have wer all compiled at fulwood barracks,all contain SWB awards