Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SMLE Mk III

NeilD

Hi Folks,

It's been a while since logging on. Unfortunately life has been hectic and I have had to concentrate on that. However I have been fortunate in taking delivery of an SMLE MkIII and even with all my military experience (which is extentsive) I am having trouble getting my head around field stripping the beast. Could I ask all you good folk out there where I could find an idiots guide to field stripping the weapons - does one exist.

Thanks in anticipation

Neil

To remove the bolt, open the bolt to its fullest extent, get a thumb or a knuckle under the bolt head and lever upwards. The bolt head should unclip and move to a vertical position which will enable you to withdraw the bolt completely. To replace insert bolt as far as the charger guide and press down on the bolt head until it clicks into place.

If the bolt head is stiff and refuses to move when trying to remove it, a gentle tap with a piece of wood in an upwards direction usually does the trick.

Apart from removing the magazine, that is about the limit of field stripping for the SMLE.

For a detailed look at stripping the rifle, get a copy of Skennertons S.A.I.S. No.1 booklet for the SMLE. It is abot £7 from Jeremy Tenniswood and others.

Regards

TonyE

To remove the bolt, open the bolt to its fullest extent, get a thumb or a knuckle under the bolt head and lever upwards. The bolt head should unclip and move to a vertical position which will enable you to withdraw the bolt completely. To replace insert bolt as far as the charger guide and press down on the bolt head until it clicks into place.

If the bolt head is stiff and refuses to move when trying to remove it, a gentle tap with a piece of wood in an upwards direction usually does the trick.

Apart from removing the magazine, that is about the limit of field stripping for the SMLE.

For a detailed look at stripping the rifle, get a copy of Skennertons S.A.I.S. No.1 booklet for the SMLE. It is abot £7 from Jeremy Tenniswood and others.

Regards

TonyE

Hi Tony,

Many thanks for that I'll give it a try.

Neil

If you decide to start dismantling the thing, the only vital, golden rule is "take the forend off before you attempt to unscrew the butt".

(The big stock bolt that holds the butt on actually has a squared tip and protrudes through the butt socket into a metal key plate inlet into the forend. Unscrewing this bolt whilst it is in the key plate spreads the plate and splits the forend....)

Is your rifle "live" or de-act? If its "live", then there is obviously a lot of minutiae about how to check it is in suitable condition for shooting and not losing vital parts, etc. If its a de-act, then there is not a lot to worry about....

If you decide to start dismantling the thing, the only vital, golden rule is "take the forend off before you attempt to unscrew the butt".

(The big stock bolt that holds the butt on actually has a squared tip and protrudes through the butt socket into a metal key plate inlet into the forend. Unscrewing this bolt whilst it is in the key plate spreads the plate and splits the forend....)

Is your rifle "live" or de-act? If its "live", then there is obviously a lot of minutiae about how to check it is in suitable condition for shooting and not losing vital parts, etc. If its a de-act, then there is not a lot to worry about....

You will need to remove all the woodwork before attempting to unscrew the butt bolt, the nut inside the reciever is square and you will need a drift to unlock it, more so after 90 years, probably a bit rusty as well. The attached picture is an action I sectioned for a display in Fulwood Museum.

Retlaw.

post-47020-1266013195.jpg

I have used this Aussie web site to completly strip and reassemble my smle mark 111 so I could linsed all the wood work.

I found it very help full and detailed.

Cheers Tony,

Just what I was after. Quite a simple process once you've plucked up the nerve to undo the screws.

Neil

Here is a relic website I made years ago has some pictures of all the basic parts if it is of use. Also some comparisons with other enfield parts (No4 etc) which sometimes get confused.

Heed the warnings above about foreends! Stock bolts are often tough - some other screw heads are easy to damage so use a good set of scewdrivers that fit (some have very narrow slots)

Chris

(Back from parts frozen and snow covered!)

I have had that site bookmarked for years, and I never realised it was yours Chris!

Regards

TonyE

• 7 months later...

Here are some related websites. Borden Battery

The Lee-Enfield Rifle

This site was created to provide basic information on the many variations of the Lee-Enfield rifle, with particular emphasis placed on pictorial references. The site is organized under the following: Part One - General History, Part Two - Technical Information, Part Three - Rifle Pages, Part Four - Sub-Caliber Training Rifles, Part Five - Sporterized and Commercially Made Enfields, Bayonets, Links Page , Basic Enfield Identification and the Facts about Serial Numbers, Parker’s Rifle Shot’s Register. [Jay Currah Website][CEF Study Group - Aug 2010]

http://www.enfieldrifles.ca/

Stripping and Cleaning a Lee Enfield No 4 Mk 2 - YouTube Video

YouTube video illustrating the stripping and cleaning of a Lee Enfield rifle. [CEF Study Group - Oct 2010]

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=GNBMIcBVOMo&feature=related

Lee Enfield 1915 Lithgow SMLE Rifle - YouTube Video

A closer look at my Lithgow-built Lee Enfield No1 Mike SMLE. It retains the original features, including volley sights and a magazine cutoff. It was army rebarreled in 1935 with a heavy barrel for marksman use. An 8 minute video with details on the rifle. [CEF Study Group - Oct 2010]

Lee-Enfield 1917 SMLE Shoot - YouTube Video

1917 BSA Lee-Enfield No1 MkIII* has ten rounds put through it [CEF Study Group - Oct 2010]

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=tfulvd2EwVw&feature=related

Lee Enfield SMLE Rifle - YouTube Video

The Lee-Enfield was, in various marks and models, the British Army's standard bolt-action, magazine-fed, repeating rifle for over 60 years from (officially) 1895[3] until 1957,[4] although it remained in British service well into the early 1960s and is still found in service in the armed forces of some Commonwealth nations.[5] In its many versions, it was the standard army service rifle for the first half of the 20th century, and was adopted by Britain's colonies and Commonwealth allies, including India, Australia, New Zealand, and Canada. [CEF Study Group - Oct 2010]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5_x1cpfjwY&p=2D99367D1763700A&playnext=1&index=6