Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Grave - Loxley United Reform Chapelyard

specialk

I am researching Charles Ellis Wild who died on 21st July 1918. I have found an entry on the CWGC site indicating that his grave is numbered D60 in Loxley United Reform Chapelyard.

When I open that bit up on the site it indicates 13 dead.

Can anybody tell me if this refers to a war memorial in Loxley or if Charles was involved in an incident where thirteen people died.

I have been lucky enough to get a photo of the family stone in Loxley which mentions Charles but I just wondered if Charles is mentioned on a War Memorial.

Any help or advice on this would be much appreciated.

Betty

Betty, it would appear he was still in training

There is a small button on the left on the GWF header "LLT" Long Long Trail which gives a tremendous amount of information.

For the 51st Battalion Durham Light Infantry (DLI) of which he was part it states:

51st (Graduated) Battalion

Up to 27 October 1917, this was known as 258th Graduated Battalion and had no regimental affiliation. Before that it had been 4th Battalion of the Training Reserve and up to September 1916 had been the 11th (Reserve) Battalion of the North Staffordshire Regiment. A training unit based at Ipswich, it was part of 215th Brigade in 72nd Division. In March 1918 when 72nd Division was broken up it went to 206th Brigade of 69th Division at Durham. Moved to Guisborough in March 1918 and in autumn went on to Catterick.

As he never served overseas, there would be no entitlement to medals.

As you are researching Charles, is Colin of interest, nearby in Hillsborough?

Name: WILD, COLIN

Initials: C

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Army Medical Corps

Unit Text: 1st/3rd (West Riding) Field Amb

Date of Death: 15/12/1916

Service No: 50

Additional information: Son of Mrs. Wild, of 113, Hammerton Rd., Hillsborough, Sheffield.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. M. 2.

Cemetery: MONT HUON MILITARY CEMETERY, LE TREPORT

There were only 9 casualties in the 51st Battalion and all but 2 appear to have been buried near where there Next of Kin lived.

001 BRAITHWAITE E TR5/172216 51ST BN 03/12/1918 DURHAM LIGHT INFANTRY

002 CLARK F 114274 51ST BN 29/07/1919 DURHAM LIGHT INFANTRY

003 COCKERAM A 110270 51ST BN 06/07/1919 DURHAM LIGHT INFANTRY

004 CURRY RT TR/5/7803 51ST GRADUATING BN 01/03/1918 DURHAM LIGHT INFANTRY

005 GRAHAM H TR5/171830 51ST BN 21/02/1919 DURHAM LIGHT INFANTRY

006 MANTON H TR5/172144 51ST GRAD BN 16/01/1919 DURHAM LIGHT INFANTRY

007 ROBINSON E 113970 Z COY 51ST BN 29/04/1919 DURHAM LIGHT INFANTRY

008 WILD CE TR5/171823 51ST BN 21/07/1918 DURHAM LIGHT INFANTRY

009 YOUNG GW 113882 51ST BN 25/06/1919 DURHAM LIGHT INFANTRY

Interestingly, Clark and Robinson are buried in Cologne Southern Cemetery, which would indicate that they were part of the Army of Occupation in mid 1919. My guess would be influenza for them, maybe illness or an accident for your Charles Wild.

Hope that helps!

• Admin

suggest you contact the owner of this site

http://www.stannington.webitsmart.co.uk/

who has completed a roll of honour for loxley and will no doubt have a picture of any war memorial

also check out the National Inventory of War Memorials at IWM

http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/server/show/conMe...mUkniwmSearch/1

apparently there are names on the village Memorial as well as others in churches I'm currently researching memorials from redudundant or demolished churches in another Yorkshire village.

Incidentally if a soldier died' at home' his family could choose where he was buried nd whether or not to have a CWGC headstone (most but by no means all did, the army was mainly working class and a headstone may have been beyond their means).

Ken

Betty, it would appear he was still in training

There is a small button on the left on the GWF header "LLT" Long Long Trail which gives a tremendous amount of information.

For the 51st Battalion Durham Light Infantry (DLI) of which he was part it states:

As he never served overseas, there would be no entitlement to medals.

As you are researching Charles, is Colin of interest, nearby in Hillsborough?

Name: WILD, COLIN

Initials: C

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Army Medical Corps

Unit Text: 1st/3rd (West Riding) Field Amb

Date of Death: 15/12/1916

Service No: 50

Additional information: Son of Mrs. Wild, of 113, Hammerton Rd., Hillsborough, Sheffield.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. M. 2.

Cemetery: MONT HUON MILITARY CEMETERY, LE TREPORT

There were only 9 casualties in the 51st Battalion and all but 2 appear to have been buried near where there Next of Kin lived.

001 BRAITHWAITE E TR5/172216 51ST BN 03/12/1918 DURHAM LIGHT INFANTRY

002 CLARK F 114274 51ST BN 29/07/1919 DURHAM LIGHT INFANTRY

003 COCKERAM A 110270 51ST BN 06/07/1919 DURHAM LIGHT INFANTRY

004 CURRY RT TR/5/7803 51ST GRADUATING BN 01/03/1918 DURHAM LIGHT INFANTRY

005 GRAHAM H TR5/171830 51ST BN 21/02/1919 DURHAM LIGHT INFANTRY

006 MANTON H TR5/172144 51ST GRAD BN 16/01/1919 DURHAM LIGHT INFANTRY

007 ROBINSON E 113970 Z COY 51ST BN 29/04/1919 DURHAM LIGHT INFANTRY

008 WILD CE TR5/171823 51ST BN 21/07/1918 DURHAM LIGHT INFANTRY

009 YOUNG GW 113882 51ST BN 25/06/1919 DURHAM LIGHT INFANTRY

Interestingly, Clark and Robinson are buried in Cologne Southern Cemetery, which would indicate that they were part of the Army of Occupation in mid 1919. My guess would be influenza for them, maybe illness or an accident for your Charles Wild.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for taking the time to give me all this information.

I am not sure if Colin is a relation or not. I will check it out. Thanks for that.

Betty

suggest you contact the owner of this site

http://www.stannington.webitsmart.co.uk/

who has completed a roll of honour for loxley and will no doubt have a picture of any war memorial

also check out the National Inventory of War Memorials at IWM

http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/server/show/conMe...mUkniwmSearch/1

apparently there are names on the village Memorial as well as others in churches I'm currently researching memorials from redudundant or demolished churches in another Yorkshire village.

Incidentally if a soldier died' at home' his family could choose where he was buried nd whether or not to have a CWGC headstone (most but by no means all did, the army was mainly working class and a headstone may have been beyond their means).

Ken

Thanks Ken for the advice and sites.

Charles is mentioned on his parents headstone but I don't know if there is a CWGC stone.

Thanks for your time

Betty

Hi Betty, that is his CWGC headstone at Loxley.

Dean.

Hi Betty, that is his CWGC headstone at Loxley.

Dean.

Sorry Dean I did not realise CGWC graves included other members of the family such as parents. I thought they all more or less looked the same with name rank and unit they served in.

Thanks

Betty

Theres a C Wild on the Vickers Roll Of Honour Gate 1 Sheffield Forgemasters however its possibly Colin RAMC?

Source: Yorkshire indexers Sheffield Rolls Of Honour..i couldnt see any other C Wild listed.

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...hp?showforum=17

Also this site above maybe helpful?

Ady

Thanks Ady for the site and information. I will follow that up.

Thanks

Betty

Betty (and others), just a small tip. You do not need to quote in full every post you are replying to. Click on Fast Reply and it avoids all that. If you use Reply, just delete all the previous post before you start typing.

Betty (and others), just a small tip. You do not need to quote in full every post you are replying to. Click on Fast Reply and it avoids all that. If you use Reply, just delete all the previous post before you start typing.

While we're on this, I've given some other tips in this Post here :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Mark

• Admin

Just to clarify and sorry if I confused you but I thought you were looking for a memorial rather than a headstone. A key principle of the CWGC is equality (of loss, sacrifice) but the family could choose the inscription and that may include their details, my family, for example chose 'His end was Peace'.

Similarly a family may wish to inscribe a memoriam for a dead soldier on a family headstone, this is a common practice but usually when the grave or memorial is overseas and not often seen in the same churchyard. There would also have been considerable delay between interment and the erection of the CWGC headstone so his details may easily be on both memorials especially if a parent died in the meantime.

If you haven't already found it you can obtain a photograph of the CWGC headstone from this site

http://www.twgpp.org/information.php?id=798858

and see the inscription for yourself.

Ken

post-17978-1265891057.jpg

I do have a close up but i cant upload it yet.

Thanks Ken for your information and site.

I was a bit confused. I thought perhaps there was a separate stone from the family stone. As I said at the start of my query I was lucky enough to get a photograph of the family stone. This appears to be the one quoted on CWGC site.

Thanks to all who helped with this query.

Betty

• 1 month later...
I am researching Charles Ellis Wild who died on 21st July 1918. I have found an entry on the CWGC site indicating that his grave is numbered D60 in Loxley United Reform Chapelyard.

When I open that bit up on the site it indicates 13 dead.

Can anybody tell me if this refers to a war memorial in Loxley or if Charles was involved in an incident where thirteen people died.

I have been lucky enough to get a photo of the family stone in Loxley which mentions Charles but I just wondered if Charles is mentioned on a War Memorial.

Any help or advice on this would be much appreciated.

Betty

I live near Loxley and I don't know of a war memorial.

in 1891, at 14, Sleaford St., Sheffield

Charles Wild, 49, born Mosborough, Derbyshire

Elizabeth, 50,

Hellen(sic) 23

Walter, 21,

Charles E, 16,

Emma, 14,

Albert, 11,

Annie, 9,

Florence, 7.

In 1901, at 47, Darnall Road,

Charles E, 26, railway wagon spring maker

Ellen, 22.

Darnall Road is in the Attercliffe district of Sheffield, Loxley is not near there, so I don't know if this is the chap you are after

Thanks for your reply and your time getting the censuses.

The Charles Ellis Wild I am researching was living with his parents Dronfield and Mary Wild in 1901 in Hillsborough.

I have now completed this part of my research.

Thanks again.

Betty