Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The 26th Training School

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Can anyone please tell me where the 26th Training School was - I have a reference to it in Mar - June 1917 but no location.

Thanks - Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Ian.

As you have had no replies to your 26th Training School question, whilst it would seem like other Forum members I have no idea despite looking in several books that I have which I thought might provide the answer.

On occasions in the past when up against a similar elusive problem such as this two sources have proved invaluable, they being the Royal Air Force Museum, Department of Research & Information Services, Graham Park Way, London NW9 5LL.

The telephone number which I wrote down a while ago is 020 8205 2266

Another source of information, albeit, for a reasonable fee is David J Barnes, 148 Parkinson Street, Burnley, Lancs, BB11 3LL.

David must have a considerable archive, as he has come up with the answers for me when nobody else could, I do realise that you probably are familiar with both sources of information, but thought it prudent to point out same, despite the fact that with your contributions to the Forum you are obviously well up to speed with WW1 record offices and the like, as such I hope that you will not mind the above.

David.

Ian,

very sorry, must have been asleep the first time you posted!

I presume that by 26th Training School, you mean 26 Training Squadron?

If so, No 26 Reserve Squadron was formed on 22nd May 1916 at Turnhouse by redesignating No.44 squadron. 26 Rserve Squadron was then redesignated No.26 Training Squadron on 31st May 1917.

An element was detached and became "B" Flight No.1 Training Depot Station on 20th July 1917.

No.26 training Squadron was disbanded on the 1st August 1918 at Narborough and merged with 69 Training Squadron to become No.22 Training Depot Station.

So... I'd say Turnhouse is most probably the place you need.

Mike