Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Seaforth Highlanders

stuart714

Dear All

About a year ago i decided to start a gazeteer of Officers of the Seaforth Highlanders who died in WW1. The reason for this that the Seaforths (unlike the Camerons 79th news) had no journal until c1921 and there is no biography of officers (again unlike the Camerons) so I have decided to put one together - its going to be long haul.

So far I have drawn together info from CWGC, ODGW, Bond of Sacrifice, De Ruvingy's as the main sources of info. have tried and battled with the London Gazette, with some sucess others not. Have been through all local newspapers for Nairnshire and Moray, and currently working on Ross-shire and Inverness and those in Fife and Aberdeen (when travelling with work). Also in process of getting records from Kew.

I would be particularly interested if anyone has obituaries from men from England or Southern Scotland,any photos of headstones of Seaforths or Portraits, letters, etc.

Dont know if it will be published but would hope so, but have arranged that all material gathered together will be deposited with the Regimental Museum at Fort George.

Any help much appreciated.

Stuart

Hi Stuart

I ran this thread soon after I joined the forum. I have a few more details about him, but not much, and a headstone pic if you want. PM me yur email. Of course if you've come across anything more I'd be interested

cheers Martin B

A good project, all the best with it.

I have varying amounts of info and photos on three Kirkcudbrightshire officers: 2nd Lieuts James Rae (kia 4/10/17) and Robert Paterson Smith M.C. (dow 2/8/17), and Lt-Col. Algernon Bingham Anstruther Stewart D.S.O. (kia 23/5/16). I don't have them all in digital form yet, but send me a PM with your email address and I will get them sorted out for you (sooner rather than later, hopefully).

If you already have full files on these men, then please let me know.

Cheers,

(another) Stuart

Have you got access to a book called Swords of the North? It was published in the 1920's and it covers the very north of main land Scotland. The best thing about the book is that it is broken down into battalions of both the Cameron's and the Seaforth's [plus others] and has many named photo's. I am sure a local library would have it.

If you can't get a look at a copy, PM me and I will see if I can send you photo's.

All the best,

Stewart

Stewart

Re Sword of the North - yes managed to borrow a copy last year from St Andrews Univ - thats what got me started also includes Ross-shire Mountain Battery and a few other itmes which I might further research at a later date. Its a book thats definitely needs reprinting.

I will see how how photocopies come out (once I get the scanner replaced) but will keep your offer of photos in mind.

Thanks

Stuart

Stewart

Re Sword of the North - yes managed to borrow a copy last year from St Andrews Univ - thats what got me started also includes Ross-shire Mountain Battery and a few other itmes which I might further research at a later date. Its a book thats definitely needs reprinting.

I will see how how photocopies come out (once I get the scanner replaced) but will keep your offer of photos in mind.

Thanks

Stuart

Stewart,

There's a copy of Sword of the North in the Moray Heritage Centre in Elgin...or there was last year when I looked at it!! Probably nearer to you than St Andrews!

Jill

I have thanks to the 15th div history, a list of officers killed and wounded whilst serving with the 8th Seaforth and the relevant dates -

let me know if that would be of use.

• 4 months later...