Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

An odd photograph (uniform and surroundings)

Chris_Baker

Details of this fellow are few, but from piecing together a few clues he almost certainly served with 18th Hussars from 1910 to 1922. Then this photo turns up. Hardly a standard barrack room. Any thoughts on where he might be (circumstances rather than specifics, I suspect) or anything on his uniform would be great. This pic is as clear and large as we can make it, I'm afraid.

post-1-1265481082.jpg

It has the feel of a barrack room in India (where very high ceilings helped keep them cool - well less hot). The uniform looks pre Khaki era, if you hadn't put in the info you have I'd be saying mid to late Victorian India.

Chris

At 178 KB I can discern on his lower left arm what looks like a long service stripe. He is sitting cross legged wearing white working trousers and white plimsols? It looks as if he is holding a george boot in his right hand, which he is polishing with his left?

His tunic has two coller dogs and there appears to be either chain mail or cords on his shoulders. Unless I am mistaken there appears to be a sword or rapier hanging from the shelve to his left. I can see a large travelling trunk on the shelf high up to his left. The collage of photos and post cards are likely to be from his family.

Yes quite possibly a barrack room in India.

Philip

Thanks, both. This is a puzzler indeed. This fellow (his family believe it is him, anyway) was born in 1891. He joined the 18th Hussars in 1910 and as far as I can see they were at Tidworth all the way through to 1914. Would a man of the regiment go to India, perhaps on attachment, pre war?

Thanks, both. This is a puzzler indeed. This fellow (his family believe it is him, anyway) was born in 1891. He joined the 18th Hussars in 1910 and as far as I can see they were at Tidworth all the way through to 1914. Would a man of the regiment go to India, perhaps on attachment, pre war?

For what its worth, the barracks around Tidworth (Jellelabad etc) are built according to India specs, ie leak like f :rolleyes: k when it rains in the UK. Seriously, they have all the same high ceilings, verendas etc, so the picture could be India, but it could also be Tidworth.

In fact, for those who are interested in the British Army pre 1914 and their barracks/accom, visiting Tidworth or Bulford would be worthwhile!! I say that a bit tongue in cheek, in that there aren't many establishments these days who would be happy with accomodation 100 years old which had received scant updating or improvement, despite the soldier paying for it out of his wage and through CILOCT - if you have to ask!!! (please google)

Pals,

Would it be that unusual to have personal items on the wall at one of the more established permanent barracks like Tidworth?

There's a picture of a similarly personalised bunk in a barracks in Ireland here:

British Army Kit Layouts at Gentleman's Military Interest Club Website

I seem to remember reading somewhere that soldiers who had done very well in Service sporting competitions (e.g. shooting, boxing etc.) were given a little more lee-way with regard to kit regulations. Maybe some of those photos are of such victories and brought honour to the regiment???

I can't make out a george boot - he seems to have his left hand supporting the lower front of his left knee to me, but his right hand could be holding something.

I agree about the sword hanging near the head of the bed, but I can't make out a large trunk high up. There doesn't seem to be enough depth in the over-bed shelf for such an item TBH.

The wall seems to be decorated with a frieze of the repeated motif of a sword in a wreath just above the dark horizontal line level with the over-bed shelf.

I got quite excited by the two maltese crosses thinking there might be some KRRC link here, but neither of them seem to have the box for the Celer et Audax motto and the one on the left is actually a cross pattée not a maltese cross anyway.

Cheers,

Mark

Does anyone have information as to where the 10th Hussars may have been stationed in the period in question (i. e. 1910 ish)?

I thought the decoration seemed to be of a crown repeated as a frieze or perhaps model making? The Maltese Cross put me in mind of Malta, sort of Mediterranean feel to the light... but would cavalry be of any use on Malta?! It looks to be a ventilation grill above the bed, I don't think it is a box on a shelf as there appears to be no depth to it. India seems a more likely call.

He does love his photographs, but his flat screen TV is awkwardly mounted over the pillow!!

There is a photo of a barrack room C1900 (in "The Edwardian and Victorian Army in Old Photos) and the walls are festooned with groups of photos, trophies on shelves etc. The beds are all folded away and the men are sitting at tables in the middle