Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Recruiting Posters for the CEF

chris.wight

While doing some research I came across McGill University's digital library website where they have some very interesting war posters on-line (WW1 & 2). I was very taken with the recruiting posters for the CEF which were done mostly for Montreal based units. You can see their site here.

This one for the 87th Battalion Canadian Grenadier Guards is my favourite.

post-2-1084405878.jpg

Great site, Chris.

Thanks for sharing

marc

You're welcome Marc.

You know I just noticed the poster artist made LCL Meighen a General. :blink:

I liked this one too.

post-2-1084413640.jpg

I would KILL WITH MY BARE HANDS! for the 87th poster, see below. I have Meighen's records along with those of all identifiable men in McClintock's book. The poster should have said Quebec Ontario Kentucky and Wisconsin tho John Simon Lewis was editor of the Montreal Star and may have become a Canadian citizen.

Interesting the number of posters for the 148th Bn. I wonder if the poster effort reflected the difficulty in getting recruits, or if it is just a vagary of history, and someone collected or saved more posters to that battalion?

Paul, I think McGill security will have to issue an A.P.B. for you the next time you come up to Montreal! :D

Thanks for the link, Dean! Very unique T-shirts.

Bill that is an interesting point. Hard to say with certainty but by the time the 148th was recruiting for men in Montreal, it must have been very difficult, especially with competition from other battalions.

If anything, it just goes to show how inefficient, and wasteful the recruiting process was during Sir Sam Hughes' leadership as Minister.

Thank God I am not going to have to KILL WITH MY BARE HANDS for the 87th Battalion poster. I did not really want to! I am a sweetheart! ;) Garth has sent this poster along with others, thanks Garth!

I am not likely to see Montreal, was there only in 1964, got to see a game at the Fourm when the Canadiens had Jean Belivieu and Henri Richard, brother of the great Rocket and a fine player himself, I bet he's a hall of famer. I have been to Canada about 10 times since including Quebec but not there. I love the country, it seems a bit more civilized than mine. :(

Paul you chose a fine time to see hockey in Montreal, and in the only place where the Canadiens belonged (not that pseudo multimedia centre they call a hockey rink these days). Henri did make it to the Hall of Fame.

I'll take some photos of the CGG armoury on de l'Esplanade this summer, and email you the results. Honestly, I don't think too much has changed inside the armoury since McClintock's time!!! :D

Chris I think someone told me there is some mention of McClintock there, would love to know what it is.

Can you imagine the luck when the first WW1 man you research in depth turns out to:

Have written a book;

Won DCM;

Visited by the King;

Written about in NY TImes & Washington POst;

His suicide is so sad, he could have lived by writing, headline in the Lexington Herald was Alexander McCLintock Brave Soldier Brilliant writer Suicide in New York.

• 4 weeks later...

I just came across another poster, this one for the 245th battalion, Canadian Grenadier Guards at Ebay. Considering its age, it is in fine shape.

post-2-1087310385.jpg