Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arm Badge

Tony Lund

The large first class Scout badge with the bar beneath - possibly a battalion scout.

Scout first class, as indicated by the bar

Although I was a Queen's Scout many years ago I cannot comment on the origin or etymology of the Boy Scout bagde.

I can, however, state categorically that the article referred to is wildly inaccurate regarding the army badge.

Firstly, it was only ever made in gilding metal ['brass'] for official issue.

It was always issued with a black woollen backing, slightly larger than the badge.

The large size, with and without cross-bar, was issued in 1905 and supplanted in 1907 by a smaller pair, although the originals continued to be worn.

The full dress and the SD versions do not exist: all were GM.

The cross-bar indicated 1st class status, and was not linked to rank, except in so far as Scout NCOs would usually be expected to achieve the higher standard.

Such 'cloth' examples as exist were for private purchase, as indeed were the white metal versions: various catalogues and lists of the period have them for sale.

Infantry scouts in India [indian Treasury notoriously even tighter-fisted than the Treasury in UK] wore a small S in a small wreath.

So, if you cut and paste the article, please also add this rebuff!

Authorities: Clothing Regs every edition 1900 to 1925, the ledgers of the RACD, and the Priced Vocabs of Clothing of the period.

Thanks for the corrections.

This proves again, not everything written on the world wide web is correct...

I hope the writer of the article referred to, will read your post.

Thank you: not everybody has time to do the hard research, so we have to rely sometimes on the best evidence we can lay hands on. It just so happens that 'proficiency badges' are my thing. Someone has to do it!

Three Cheers for Grumpy! :D

Where would we be without him? :thumbsup:

Mark

GRUMPY said:
Thank you: not everybody has time to do the hard research, so we have to rely sometimes on the best evidence we can lay hands on. It just so happens that 'proficiency badges' are my thing. Someone has to do it!

That's right!

I join Mark, with the cheers! :thumbsup:

What about this one: