Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pvt Harry Fox

nockbe

Hi,

I am researching a soldier by the name of Private Harry Fox for a school project, he was a member of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers,2nd Bn. died aged 18 on the 27/10/1918 his service no. 89364. He was the son of Robert Arthur Fox of Mountain Alltami, Mold, Flintshire and the memorial sight on which he is remembered is Vis-En-Artois. If anyone could find any extra info regarding his death or photos of him it would be really helpful

Regards

nockbe

Nockbe,

Welcome to the forum.

There is a Medal Index Card for the young chap. He was entitled to the pair only and there is no entry date mentioned.

This from 'Soldiers Died.'

Name: Harry Fox

Birth Place: Buckley, Flintshire

Residence: Wrexham

Death Date: 27 Oct 1918

Regiment: Royal Welsh Fusiliers

Battalion: 2nd Battalion.

Number: 89364

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Theatre of War: France and Flanders

Cheers Andy :poppy:

nockbe

2 RWF were part of 115 Brigade of 38 (Welsh) Division,see this from the LLT at top left of this page for it's make-up and actions:

http://www.1914-1918.net/38div.htm

The Division was involved in the Final Advance in Picardy in the time approaching Harry's death,they were specifically fighting the Battle of the Selle from 17 to 25 October 1918,and I would say that he died in day-to-day trench defence by way of sniping/artillery/raids in the days following the battle.

As he has no known grave he is remembered on the VIS-EN-ARTOIS Memorial,here:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/certificate.aspx?casualty=1742506

There is also a War Diary at the National Archives at Kew under the reference WO95/2561. This gives a daily account of the Battalion's activity.It is possible to download a copy of the War Diary from the NA Catalogue for 3.50.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Hi Nockbe,

Here's a photo of Harry's name on the Vis-en-Artois Memorial.

SteveJ.

, you say there is a medal Index Card for Harry Fox, do you know what medals he was awarded?

If you follow the advice at the top of the page, the "researching a soldier" section will tell you how to find this out yourself. Your teacher will appreciate that your project has included research that you have done for yourself - it's advice you could pass on to your fellow students who have also posted requests for information.

Thank you all for your help, your guidance and information is much apprecitated and will be very useful to me in my research for my school project. I appreciate that you took your time to help me.

Thank you again,

nockbe

• 2 weeks later...

nockbe,

Here's your man in 1901 - he seems to be hiding in 1911 - living at 17, Nelson Street, Chester, Cheshire.

FOX, Robert A Head Married Engine & Machine Fitter born 1871 in Buckley Flintshire

FOX, Mary Wife Married born 1875 in Buckley Flintshire

FOX, Maud Daughter Single born 1897 in Buckley Flintshire

FOX, Harry Son Single born 1899 in Buckley Flintshire

FOX, Dorothy Daughter Single born 1900 in Chester Cheshire

By 1911 Robert has remarried and Harry has vanished.

Hth

Grant

• 1 month later...