Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Most Gallantry Awards for one Trench Raid

Tyneside Chinaman

Hi everyone,

Having completed a history of 2/DLI I am now working on the 12th and 13th Battalions.

I am indeed fortunate that in the Regimental Archives there exists the "Adjutants War Diary" this is the Field note books that the Adjutant wrote up the days events before writing the official WO95 war diary.

In the Adjutants copy the wounded and killed are all listed by name rank and number, but in the official WO95 only numbers of killed and wounded are given.

On 3 June 1916 13/DLI raided the enemy trenches near Souchez and it was classed as a very successful raid so much so that 2 MC's and 13 MM's were awarded, and two other men who were undergoing FP No 1 had there sentences quashed.

I have checked all the Other Ranks and all but one were serving in C Company and all are listed in the London Gazette of 10 August 1916.

Before I claim this as a record number in writing and then get shot down - does anyone on here know of an instance where more Military Medals were issued for one raid.

Regards

John

Hi John,

I believe the 2/10th Londons can take that record. On the night of Nov 8th 1917 in the Poelcapelle region, Ypres Salient, a fighting patrol was conducted by 21 men of the Battalion. 1 DSO, 2XDCMs and 18 MMs were awarded for this patrol. General Jacobs, commanding 2 corps described the Nights work as a "Model Raid for the whole British Army" I will do a full write up soon. Sorry to burst your bubble mate :)

James

Hi

No no bubble burst just prevented making a fraudulent claim and as I'm not an MP it don't matter.

Ah! But! No FP reduced or FGCM quashed possibly the Londoners were all good boys with no worky tickets as we say.

thanks

John