Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Africa by motor vehicle

Guest porky orr

Guest porky orr

I have in my possession two Journels by a W W Campbell (author of a book published in 1928 ref the journels). They are extremely interesting with loads of original photos and his thoughts and experiences in South Africa. My father in law saved them from a house clearance in Nottingham as they were going to be skipped!!!

I was wondering what was the best thing to do for them. I was going to take them to the Imperial War Museum, but I live up North and Londons 300 miles away.

Are there any histroians local to Lancashire who would be interested in seeing them?

I have in my possession two Journels by a W W Campbell (author of a book published in 1928 ref the journels). They are extremely interesting with loads of original photos and his thoughts and experiences in South Africa. My father in law saved them from a house clearance in Nottingham as they were going to be skipped!!!

I was wondering what was the best thing to do for them. I was going to take them to the Imperial War Museum, but I live up North and Londons 300 miles away.

Are there any histroians local to Lancashire who would be interested in seeing them?

Campbell was, I believe, a Nottingham man and served as a motor lorry driver in the East African campaign. I read his book,'East Africa by Motor Lorry' in a Nottingham library a few years ago. From memory he did not see any action but the book gives a good account of the trials and tribulations of a motor driver in what must have been a very inhospitable place for motor transport. Not too many serviceable roads in the african bush a century ago!

As for what to do with them, what about the Manchester branch of the IWM? Maybe they would be interested in seeing them.

Campbell was, I believe, a Nottingham man and served as a motor lorry driver in the East African campaign. I read his book,'East Africa by Motor Lorry' in a Nottingham library a few years ago. From memory he did not see any action but the book gives a good account of the trials and tribulations of a motor driver in what must have been a very inhospitable place for motor transport. Not too many serviceable roads in the african bush a century ago!

As for what to do with them, what about the Manchester branch of the IWM? Maybe they would be interested in seeing them.

Thanks for your reply. You are indeed correct, as my father in law is from Mansfield and the house clearance was in Nottingham. The journels contain his address which I have looked up on google earth-nice house. I will try the Manchester branch, I really need to sit down and talk to a Historian about them rather than just blindly hand them over though.

Cheers