Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Broodseinde Ridge 1917 German pillbox

bkristof

Last week i watched (again) ANZACS. I knew there was a scene at Broodseinde Ridge in 1917. I didn't recall the attack on the pillbox called Emma.

Did Emma really exist on Broodseinde ridge? Or is it pure fiction.

If Emma existed can someone provide info?

Pics, trench map etc. I like to do some research on it. I am also looking for pics of Broodseinde BEFORE the war.

many many thanks,

kristof

I don't know where Emma was located. But here is a low power view of a German trench map, with Broodseinde circled, Passchendaele marked with 'P' and Langemarck with (you guessed it) 'L'

Robert

post-4-1084388554.jpg

And a more high power view in the area between Broodseinde and Passchendaele. No maps that I have indicate where individual pillboxes were located.

Robert

post-4-1084388718.jpg

I'm not sure whether this helps but there's a reference to 'Alma' (red arrow) on this Sept 1917 trench map....

James

post-4-1084438018.jpg

Someone told me that Emma = ANZAC pillbox.

If so, then it wasn't at Broodseinde at all but near Polygone wood.

We need experts to know for sure... :unsure:

Kristof, on map just sent you will see that between Zonnebeke and Broodseinde, pill boxes to be attacked by Ozzies were numbered not named, but this does not mean Emma did not exist.

Just before the battle, farms, woods etc, which didnt already have names, wre given them, and these were chosen from the map sector.....to the north, around Vindictive crossroads, they attacked Venture, Vocation, Vegetable, Valour etc.

In D sector, they attacked Dame wood, Dame farm, Damp, Dairy, Daisy. rail croosroads were of course, Dash, Defy, Devil etc.

Between Broodseinde and Keiburg map squares are "E", this is the extent of the advance, Bean, the Oz official historian, says Eddy pillbox, on Eddy trench, gave trouble, nearby are Easel, Easy , also Exert, Encore, Entice, Enlist, Echo, Exempt,etc. Emma is not on any map I can find, and not in Bean maps, but this name may have been obtained from a battalion diary or history, as some of the names were given by troops rather than planners. So if you look you may find her....

ANZAC was a pill box at Polygon, there are some photos of it.

peter, mebu,

it is quite good and quite historical.

Do you live near ypres?

if so, you may loan it to watch it. IF i get it back offcourse ;)

Kristof, thanks for kind offer of video loan, but I am in England and cannot collect or return it, many thanks anyway, Peter.