Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Conquer - Royal Scots, Royal Flying Corps

alf mcm

I have a medal record card for Pte. John Conquer, 3017 Royal Scots and 403504 Royal Flying Corps. He appears to have only been awarded a [1914-15] Star. Is this correct, since I always thought you had to have the BWM and BVM before you could get the star!

post-33018-1265265529.jpg

Regards,

Alf McM

Please find attached the medal record card for Pte. John Conquer, Royal Scots and Royal Flying Corps. He appears to have only been awarded a [1914-15] Star. Is this correct, since I always thought you had to have the BWM and BVM before you could get the star!

You do, however split MIC's are not uncommon - ie the Pair is referenced on one MIC, and the Star on another (although a brief search of the MIC's doesn't easily show one for the Pair).

It's now against forum rules to post pictures of the cards though due to copyright issues I'm afraid..

Possibly his BWM and Victory were issued by the Air Ministry, therefore not in the army cards.

The RAF have yet to release their MICs to the public. A record of his medal entitlement is probably on his service record, but that too has yet to be released! His 403504 service number would be the same in the RAF.

Edited by per ardua per mare per terram

Is this correct, since I always thought you had to have the BWM and BVM before you could get the star!

This is not the case, the Star was issued before the BWM & VM. It was not possible to be awarded the Star and not qualify for the BWM & VM too.

I thought it was ok to post MICs as long as it`s part of your own research ,and your not posting it for another members research.?

Gary :wacko::unsure: ???

Alf,

Men,of intelligence,or who wished to become Fliers,transferred from the Royal Scots ,and other Regiments,in the Field,to the RFC.

It would be easier,if you stated,his 1914/15 Royal Scots Battalion.

George

I thought it was ok to post MICs as long as it`s part of your own research ,and your not posting it for another members research.?

Gary :wacko::unsure: ???

Quite right, Gary - it is OK to post a MIC you have obtained from Ancestry yourself, so you were OK, Alf

Alan

Quite right, Gary - it is OK to post a MIC you have obtained from Ancestry yourself, so you were OK, Alf

Oops, I thought it was all MIC's - confusing... :blink:

George,

Unfortunately I don't know his Royal Scots Battalion.

With regard to posting the mdal record card, I did think it was o.k., since I got it from Ancestry. However, I removed it as soon as I thought I was doing anything wrong. I will now go and add it back in.

Regards,

Alf McM

Oops, I thought it was all MIC's - confusing... :blink:

No problem. Here's a reminder of the relevant part of the rule:

Members of the GWF MAY post images of MIC's/service records etc on the Great War Forum provided they have downloaded these themselves from Ancestry or similar sites, or have obtained them from, for example, the NA, and they relate to a specific research project being undertaken by the GWF member in question.

Members MAY NOT use the GWF to display any images of MIC's, service records etc downloaded from Ancestry or any similar genealogy sites on behalf of a third party.