Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Enlistment/Recruitment Offices

Woodsc

Hi

I am trying to identify where in Kirton in Lindsey Lincolnshire the Enlistment/Recruitment offices were located

Has anyone got any photographs ??? or can you please advise where it was located in Kirton

The soldier I am researching enlisted March 1915

Hope someone can help ~ Thank You

Colin

• Admin

er - are you relying on Ancestry SDGW?

e.g Albert Ashley 14016 Coldstreams

residence Lincoln

enlistment location Kirton in Lindsey

means he lived in Kirton and enlisted in Lincoln

Couple of threads on this topic including this one

Ken

er - are you relying on Ancestry SDGW?

e.g Albert Ashley 14016 Coldstreams

residence Lincoln

enlistment location Kirton in Lindsey

means he lived in Kirton and enlisted in Lincoln

Couple of threads on this topic including this one http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...howtopic=114685

Ken

Hi Ken

Now I'm confused ~ the information I have is he lived at Blyborough and enlisted in Kirton in Lindsey ~ shall have to dig deeper now

Thank You

Colin

• Admin

Sorry to cause confusion, there may have been a recruiting office in Kirton in Lindsey but if your information was from Ancestry SDGW I was merely recommending you treat with caution.

If you got it from the CD it will be more accurate, if not if you post his name I'm sure someone will look up the CD for you. Another option is to check the 1911 Census.

A quick keyword search on Ancestry SDGW for Kirton in Lindsey shows that the most common towns listed as "Residence" for men born in Kirton in Lindsey are Scunthorpe and Lincoln (with Lincoln perhaps favouring the 10th Bn). Looking at Google maps these towns are about equidistant North and South from Kirton in Lindsey. In a quick scan I couldn't see any entries that listed Kirton as 'Residence' which is a bit surprising so you have to swap them around (and then perhaps cross check with the 1911 Census).

Not a very scientific analysis but hope this explains the problem with Ancestry - which may not be your problem and no doubt someone will now post a picture of the recruiting office as you originally requested!

Ken

From experience in northwest Wales, if there actually was a formal recruiting office in Kirton the recruiter & their address may be advertised in a local newspaper towards the start of the War. Don't expect a barracks - all sorts of premises were adapted for the purpose.

"Enlisted" in the record sense means that was where the recruit was formally sworn in before a magistrate or other qualified person. If your man was enlisted at Kirton it might well have been at a Recruiting Office, and following a medical inspection etc. I have also found occasional mentions of men completing this process at villages or camps away from the usual stations so some special arrangements may sometimes have been made.

LST_164

From experience in northwest Wales, if there actually was a formal recruiting office in Kirton the recruiter & their address may be advertised in a local newspaper towards the start of the War. Don't expect a barracks - all sorts of premises were adapted for the purpose.

"Enlisted" in the record sense means that was where the recruit was formally sworn in before a magistrate or other qualified person. If your man was enlisted at Kirton it might well have been at a Recruiting Office, and following a medical inspection etc. I have also found occasional mentions of men completing this process at villages or camps away from the usual stations so some special arrangements may sometimes have been made.

LST_164

Thanks to Ken and your goodself for your efforts

I'll keep searching ~ newspaper/advertisement might be another option ~ checked with the archives people at Lincoln who have informed me they have some war diaries for the 10th Bn ~ going to have a look ~ I will ask the question regarding enlistment locations

Thanks once again

Colin