Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Recruitment Drives In Cork

Arnhem44

I have in my possession an old booklet brought out by the Bandon War Memorial Committee,there's one and a half pages covering a recruiting drive in the town on Friday May 28th 1915.It states that the bands of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers and the 9th battalion Royal Munsters with a recruiting party paraded through the principal streets of the town,also present were a large detachment of the Royal Field Artillery who marched with them.Later that day after a luncheon a meeting was held in Devonshire Square where an appeal was made to the people of Bandon to join the war effort.

Was there any other such recruiting drives held in any of the other towns throughout Cork?, and does anyone have any info regarding these,would these recruiting parties have moved from town to town or were such events done only on a seldom basis.Its something that I'm not having much luck finding any info on and seems to yield few results when looked for.

Hello Morlar.

Good to see you here from boards.ie.

The midland papers of the period are littered with such drives. Some of them headed by VC winners and other celebrities. Having said that I have not yet come across an enlistment booklet. I can see you really have been taken with the ww1 period, perhaps you might consider joining the Irish Great War Society?

Kind regards.

Tom Burnell.

Hello Tom,it's good to be here.To be honest I find the WW1 period far more fascinating than any other,maybe its to do with the localised history that's involved in Ireland and plenty down this way,the sea warfare and sinking's off the coast,the casualties,Michael Collins,Tom Barry, etc,etc.I must have a look in the papers for the area and see if there's anything mentioned on such events,nothing shows up on a local level of town histories and no doubt it's an area of history that has been largely neglected and then for many forgotten.I must have a look at the site you mentioned,it sounds very interesting.

Brendan

Keep an eye on these two sites, you can then see whats on around the country and you might even join one of the groups? There are lots of ww1 offshoots in these clubs.

http://new.livinghistory.ie/index.php

http://www.irishreenactment.com/index.php?...bfcbf77bd69a922

Regards.

Tom.

Thanks Tom,I've had a look at those sites a few times before,some familiar faces on there from the shows and some very interesting info.

Brendan