Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Irish Rifles - Draft from 13 Londons

Penywern

Hello and a belated New Year to you all..

Is there any RIR men out there who might be able to help over this one.

I have a batch of 13 London's around the 66** to 67** (old numbering), who seem to be transferred to the RIR and given 45*** numbers.

The information I've found so far is from the medal cards, which I think is only given me a tiny snapshot, none of the men have records surviving in the Ancestry 'Pension or Service' records.

Phillip

Phillip

A quick butchers at sd comes up with: R.I Rifles casualties No. 45*****

113 deaths of men whose number started 45*

The majority are men who were 'Formerly 1234, Blankshires"

One death is from early 1917 but the rest start to rise from mid 1917 on.

Quite a few are London Regt men and some are 66*- men.

I can provide the details if you need them.

You might want to let Tom Thorpe know of this one. He is the GWF expert on the 13th Londons.

Thankyou both for the help.

One problem if it can be called such is that due to many of the London Batt's using the same numbers at the same time, I cannot always be sure if the referance is to the 13th's or some other Batt.

Also would the 'servive / pension' records include the RIR, as I've seemed to have drawn a blank on all those I'm certain of?

Thankyou Charles, I'm aware of Tom and have been working along side of him for a while.

Tom keeps telling me to get in touch with you, as I've some interesting odds and ends.

Phillip

Tom keeps telling me to get in touch with you, as I've some interesting odds and ends.

Thanks Phillip, look forward to hearing more. I have some RIR men in my 19th Londons database. Not something I've looked into so far.

Hello and a belated New Year to you all..

Is there any RIR men out there who might be able to help over this one.

I have a batch of 13 London's around the 66** to 67** (old numbering), who seem to be transferred to the RIR and given 45*** numbers.

The information I've found so far is from the medal cards, which I think is only given me a tiny snapshot, none of the men have records surviving in the Ancestry 'Pension or Service' records.

Phillip

I was looking throught the Long Long Trail website a few weeks ago and this page may explain your query (though I'm no expert!)http://www.1914-1918.net/TF_renumbering_infantry.htmWith the 1917 reorganization of TF numbers the soldiers in question may have been transferred from 13th Londons after recovering from wounds in the UK to the 18th Londons (London Irish); the latter were affiliated to the RIR and would have used their new service numbers. I hope this helpsCWT

• 2 months later...

Hello Gents,

Me and some friends visit France/Belgium each year - each of us research and follow an indivudual or a unit or an action and we retrace their steps before paying our respects at the various memorials. We've been doing this for a few years now and it's so much more rewarding than organised tours or just pitching up and gawping.

Anyway, further to the above - a great uncle of mine, George Frederick Warby, was originally 6281 Pvt. London Regt, before being transferred to 13 RIR as 43590 Rifleman. He was killed on 16 Aug 1917 and is burried at Tyne Cot.

I'm researching George and his family and was wondering if anyone had some info (or could point me to the right sources) regarding either unit - particularly the 13th RIR, 108 Bde, 36th Div at Langemarck on 16 Aug 1917, which is where we want to devote a morning this July.

Many thanks,

Tim