Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

29258 Private Sidney Alan Barker 1st/7th Bn Royal Warwickshire Regiment

CarylW

Noticed that one of the Birkenhead men was born in Raveningham, Norfolk, in 1898, the son of W. and E. Barker. Whilst he was still a young boy, his family moved to Birkenhead

He is listed on the Birkenhead Memorial and I wondered if he was remembered on any war memorial in Norfolk?

I have his CWGC details

Here is part of what I have on him on his page

"29258 Private Sidney Alan Barker

1st/7th ( Territorial ) Bn. Warwickshire Regiment

Sidney Alan Barker was born at Raveningham, Norfolk, in 1898, the son of W. and E. Barker. Whilst he was still a young boy, his family moved to the Wirral, ............

In 1916, he travelled to Norfolk, and enlisted into the Norfolk Regiment ( Regimental No. 27326 ), but was later transferred over to the 1/7th ( Territorial ) Bn. Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Private Barker served with this battalion until he was killed in action on 27fh August, 1917, during the attack on the

German held Springfield Farm, to the north east of Zonnebeke, in the Ypres Salient, Belgium. He is buried in Plot 6, Row D, Grave 4, Artillery Wood Cemetery, Belgium

Caryl

It could be Raveningham which is only a few miles from me. I'll have a look for you.

Lionboxer

Thanks, really appreciate it. I don't know the Norfolk area at all

Caryl

I went to Raveningham memorial this morning which is in the churchyard. Sadly the stone was weathered and the names illegible but luckily the church was open and just inside the door was the Roll of Honour. Sidney Barker is shown as died though there was an Arthur and Frederick who both served and survived. I've just now done a check on Ancestry and on the 1901 census a Sydney Barker was living with his parents William and Elizabeth together with elder siblings including Arthur and Frederick. This is your man and presumably he is on the memorial, I will go back to see if I can find his name. I have taken photo's if you wish to see them.

Lionboxer

Caryl,

In light of L/boxers news it will not surprise you that Sidney Barker is among the 15 names on the Raveningham list in the EDP's 1920, Norfolk Roll of Honour, republished by Gliddon Books in 1988.

With his mum and dad in the Wirral well before 1920, somebody else may have made sure Sidney's name was on the roll.

The Raveningham Roll also lists Charles, George, and Henry Sparrow. The short strings of distinct surnames in these lists are haunting. Burnham Thorpe, 9 deaths, including four Futters and two Johnsons.

Rob Carman.

Lionboxer

Thanks so much, I really appreciate this. (sorry, only just caught up with replies!) That is good to hear that he is remembered in his place of birth. I would appreciate a photo very much and I'll add it to his page

Rob

Thanks very much for this, I'll add that too

Caryl

Just taking a break from decorating the sunlounge (busman's holiday as I'm a P&D!!)

Caryl, if you send me your email addy I'll send the photo's I took the other day. I haven't had the chance to go back to find the actual carving of his name.

Rob, I have the CD of the Norfolk Roll of Honour and was looking through it the other night after you'd mentined it. It brings a tear to your eye to see how many brother's / family members were taken from their small rural communities.

Now this is the spooky bit, because of your posting I have now found another man who should be on our memorial. I was looking through the adjacent parishes on the CD when I came across a name I hadn't picked up on before. A little bit of head scratching and searching revealed he was the brother of a man already on the memorial. The confussion/overlooking came about because he kept his mother's previous married name!! An emergency meeting of the War Memorial Committee is now planned to have his name added alongside his brother and peer's. This will make seven sets of brother's we lost.

Lionboxer

Lionboxer

Thank you so much for sending me the photos of the memorial and Roll of Honour, it is very much appreciated. The photo of the crumbling memorial in the freezing cold churchyard surrounded by snow was, I thought, very atmospheric I hope it will be restored

Isn't this forum great!

(What a spooky bit of serendipity to find a name you were looking for! it was meant to be)

Caryl

• 10 years later...
On 04/02/2010 at 01:30, rob carman said:

Caryl,

In light of L/boxers news it will not surprise you that Sidney Barker is among the 15 names on the Raveningham list in the EDP's 1920, Norfolk Roll of Honour, republished by Gliddon Books in 1988.

With his mum and dad in the Wirral well before 1920, somebody else may have made sure Sidney's name was on the roll.

The Raveningham Roll also lists Charles, George, and Henry Sparrow. The short strings of distinct surnames in these lists are haunting. Burnham Thorpe, 9 deaths, including four Futters and two Johnsons.

Rob Carman.

Sidney Barker was one of my Nans Brothers. He was one of many children born to William & Elizabeth Barker who worked on the Raveningham Estate as Farm labourers and horsemen. Some of his elder brothers survived the War. My Great Grandparents moved to Birkenhead on the Wirral where several of their daughters had entered service. Sidney being one of the youngest of their brood went with them. If anyone reading this knows the whereabouts of any of the Barker family offspring please drop me a line as I’m tracing my roots! 

• spof changed the title to 29258 Private Sidney Alan Barker 1st/7th Bn Royal Warwickshire Regiment
  • 1 year later...

Hi Caryl

I have been researching the 1,295+ lads on Hamilton Square War Memorial, Birkenhead, on and off for the past 30 years or so. If I can help, please drop me a line.

Kindest regards

Pete Threlfall

Barker S.A..JPG