Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Civilian BWM, What Inscription?

Ghost

I was shown a BWM (silver) today. The inscription read, ' Fitzpatrick B'ham". Now it may be my memory and the name may not have been Fitzpatrick, but it definately started with an F.

What puzzles me is this, 1) that there is no fore name Initial. 2) the "B'ham".

My initial thought on seeing this medal, is that "Fittzpatrick B'ham, was a company in Birmingham, but that sounds nosense.

Any pal have any ideas about this medal, or what a civilian who earned this medal might normally have inscribed on it.

Alan

Never seen anything like it before, either. I wonder if it was a Royal Mint contractor who was given a BWM soon after the design stage to see if they, as an outside contactor, could give a quote for, say, x number of suspenders (the medal sort!).

The medal did not appear to be re-named, the wife is up there today, so I have asked her to check the name, I wonder if she can do that better than me. When I find out I will update this thread.

Alan

Checking the Medal Index Cards in BT 351 should reveal the man. I suggest "Fitzpatrick" was the forename. The Mercantile Marine Medal (and accompanying BWM) was awarded to British Subjects, which included merchant seamen of diverse backgrounds.

They are interesting lines of thought, thanks. Wife did not manage to get up there, so I will have to wait untill the weekend.

Alan

Err, well... some silly b decided to fill the wifes car up with petrol. Pity it was diesel engined. So I did not make it over the weekend, hopefully next weekend.

Alan (from the dog house)

Had another look at the medal to day with a better glass.

The inscription is in fact 'Fredrick B.Hall'. Sorry about that. I take it that is a civilian medal. Would merchant navy men have had any prefix or suffix.

Alan