Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ypres Bars

Agh57

I'm off to Ypres in a few weeks with a few old University mates. I've been to Ypres plenty of times in the last few years but usually families. This time I imagine there will be a bit more of an emphasis on drinking. Can any Pals recommend any bars that are away from the square. In past I have been to a few down by the Old Fish Market and some on the same street as the "Old Bill" pub and one under the Meat House. I was already planning on going to the Kleine Riijsel (?), the Blue Ypra bar next to the newsagents and the new one near the Menin Gate. I wandered if any Pals could recommend any bars that I have not come accross in the past. There will be 5 of us and although not quite in our prime we are all mid 30's. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I'm sure Soren will be along to help you out soon :thumbsup:

If not just pm him

Andy

the 12 apostels in d'hondtstraat

and yep soren isn't there at the moment

sabine

Hi sabine ,I stayed at the albion week before christmas the owner said the 12 apostels in d'hondtstraat had closed as the son didnt want to carry on,saying that as we walked past people were still drinking maybe its just the restaurant that has closed.

agh I wouldnt recommend by the novotel op the old bill

A the vorten vis

B the angel (tho a group of men would im sure be made very welcome)

You can get a fine Kwak in t'Ganzeke, at the back of the Cloth Hall, but i would also put in a vote for the Ypra next to the Menin Gate.

Bea and her son Leroy are incredibly friendly, as well as playing some good music (one evening in the summer was just sixties hits....OK.....my taste, maybe not yours!) You can also smoke in the Walker, just down the street towards the square.

The klein rijssel pub does have a museum attached, and a unique Peace beer (seved in buyable earthenware mugs), but opening and closing times are variable, so if you want to give the beer a try, pop in when you see it open, rather than planning after 9 or on a Wednesday.

Hope this helps....happy quaffing!

Bruce

Just remember the Cafe t Klein Rijsel is closed on Wednesdays and Thursdays and dont appear there after the Menin Gate Last Post Ceremony as Fabienne will often close the bar 8ish if no one is in, especially in the quiet season. This venue is also the RBL Ypres Branch HQ. We had a super evening last Friday evening playing host to our local collection box outlets. Every year the Branch arranges a hospitality night to thank it's Poppy Appeal Collection Box stockists. Since 2008, over 30,000 euros on behalf of the RBL Poppy Appeal has been raised in the town.

The Branch web site http://www.ypresbranchrbl.vpweb.co.uk/ will be updated with pics of the evening asap.

Bruce has just reminded me of something that Fabienne has asked us to be aware of. She no longer calls it Peace Beer but Remembrance Beer, far better we think. Whatever, it does taste great and the mugs are a nice souvineer to take home on your return. Enjoy!

Chris.

The Ypra Inn and tKlein Rijsel are both very smoky. I'm just on my way to the latter via the ramparts, and will be looking in despite the fumes. I still miss the old Post Office Bar which was my favourite watering hole in Ypres by a mile.

Keith

The Ypra Inn and tKlein Rijsel are both very smoky. I'm just on my way to the latter via the ramparts, and will be looking in despite the fumes. I still miss the old Post Office Bar which was my favourite watering hole in Ypres by a mile.

Keith

Hi Keith, I would pop in quickly if I was you and have a beer or three. It might just cure your stutter!! :lol:

Belgium it seems is still a smokers paradise as many bars still allow smoking as Belgian smoking legislation is full of caveats which many bars exploit however, they are now moving slowly to a full ban by 2014.

Anyway, if smoke clogged bars is an issue for you as it is to me, try the Zilveren Hooft on the Rijselstraat and several others are voluntarily smoke free today. All Restaurants in the town are now officially smoke free since January this year as per new legislation. The choice is yours mate!

Have fun.

Chris.

The lack of smoke is why i suggested the t'Ganzeke.

Bruce

Many thanks for the suggestions. The Ypra and T'klein Rijsel were already on the list. The T'klein Rijsel is my favourite bar in Ypres been there many time. It was the first bar I saw in Ypres, we drove past it on our way in to Ypres for the first time. At that time, they were digging up the roads outside and they had put some of their exhibits in the trench that the road constructors had dug up which was pretty interesting and so have made a point of going back on each visit ever since. I plan for us to spend a few hours Friday evening in there but am aware of its early closing so we will do the Menin Gate on the Saturday so we can spend some time in there.

As the only smoker in the group I am okay with smoke. Although I am conditioned these days to smoke outside.

In October we popped in to the Canada cafe on the Menin Road and it was far too smoky for us. Admittedly we had our son with us but it still seemed exceptionally smoky. There were only 3 blokes in there and it must have been far worse in my village pub when I grew up 15 years ago. How times (and opinions) change!

agh57,

ypra is my favourite,

but 12 apostels is ok and it is not closed, it was only closed for 31/12/2009

kind regards

sabine

Cough splutter, etc. I do prefer to breathe smoke free air, and TKlein Rijsel is definitely better early. We made it there in good time, and for Bruce, it appears that they now stock your favourite brew. I settled for the St Bernardus Prior as is my wont.

Bad news is that St Sixtus are currently out of beer for off sales, which is truly tragic as I am on my way back at dawn on Monday.

This weekend I have managed despite the rain, sleet and snow to photograph the CWGC headstones or the names on memorials of about 20 of my Greengates lads, and I am now beginning to relax with a significant cognac. Well significant in one sense to a Yorkshire lad.

Keith

On the way home, why not stop off at the beer farm on Wing Mirror Alley (between Pops and Steenvorde). It is on the right, just past Remi's Farm on the left as you lead to Steenvorde.....always at least 200 beers.....heaven!

Bruce

No. As you leave Ypres, you head to Pops and take the ring road. You turn left towards Steenvorde, with the signpost also to Lijssenthoek CWGC. Immediately on the left is a small cottage, with a garden absolutely covered in gnomes. Keep in the main road. You will pass hop poles on the right, and then Remi's Farm on the left (with Lijssenthoek behind it).....about 200 yards on the right you will see a farm, with flags outside.

That is where beer heaven is located!

Bruce

Is the pub nearest the Lille gate called 'klein rijssel' ?

How do you view the exhibits in the museum, I've been in but didn't notice any sort of separate entrance ?

Mick

You have to go through the pub into a sort of beer courtyard garden. You have to buy a token from the bar first. The entrance to the museum at the back is via a 1970's municipal swimming bath style turnstyle which lets you in once you have inserted your token. I have always found it to be a fantastic little museum and always make a point of seeing it each time I visit.

In the absence of St Sixtus I did my beer shopping at the Ypres Colruyt. Limited range, but very keen prices. I'll have to try the beer farm on my next visit. Perhaps when the other Bruce has completed his work on War Cemeteries we could persuade him to set up a set of POI for the belgian beer enthusiasts.

Keith

You have to go through the pub into a sort of beer courtyard garden. You have to buy a token from the bar first. The entrance to the museum at the back is via a 1970's municipal swimming bath style turnstyle which lets you in once you have inserted your token. I have always found it to be a fantastic little museum and always make a point of seeing it each time I visit.

Thanks for that, I've actually crossed the courtyard to visit the toilets but didn't know about the museum.

I'll know for next time.

Mick

My last two visits to t'Kleine Rijsel have proved fruitless in the search for food, but they used to sell great food in the bar. It's still worth a visit for the beer and the Museum, but alas no food. Is this still the case?

No more food in the Cafe t Klein Rijsel. Fabienne allows smoking and that has affected her food licence. We had to supply the table top nibbles for the function on Friday evening. That is still legal but selling or offering food for payment is deffinately not if you allow smoking. All the restaurants are now smoke free since the beginning of January over here. Bars and Cafes, well it's up to them...untill 2014.

I always pop into the 'Drink and Drive In' (yes really) cash and carry on the road out to Dickebusch. I've never found anywhere cheaper, although the range of beers does vary. You can load up by the crate if you want (and get a deposit if you bring them and the bottles back). We usually take our own cardboard boxes with us if we're well-organised.

I can't believe that someone has actually gone into the Canada Bar. I've been visiting Ypres for 25 years and can never remember seeing it open! With pubs closing by the minute in Britain I have often wondered how some of these 'two old men and the owner' operations seem to stagger on year after year in Belgium.

Thanks for that, I've actually crossed the courtyard to visit the toilets but didn't know about the museum.

I'll know for next time.

Mick

Hi Mick

Meant to comment earlier, but your Avatar on the Ypres Battlefield forum just reminded me. There can't be many of us in the DM/Great War demographic!