Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

collar badge

johnnie

I was wondering if anybody might be able to help me. I have just picked up a photo of four men (possibly brothers) who are all serving in the same unit. They are not wearing headdress so there are no cap badges, but all seem to have a collar badge of the Prince of Wales Feathers, possibly with a scroll under the feathers.

The card has an address in Bedlington, Northumberland, to the rear, although the card does not seem to have been posted.

I was wondering if any members might be able to suggest which unit the men were serving with. I assume it is a Welsh unit, although I am not sure.

I will scan the photo and add it here soon as members can see the image as it might help. Three of the men also seem to have cross rifles (or flags) on there lower left arm about a stripe.

Any help would be great.

Jonathan

Many thanks for the reply. I will try and scan the image when I return home and add it, however I think you might be correct with the West Yorkshire Regiment.

Jonathan

Just managed to scan the image. I have also added a few close up images and was wondering if anybody could confirm if the badge on the lower sleeve is for a cross rifle or cross flag (or even something else).

I am starting to think it might be a cross flag rather than a cross rifle.

Jonathan

post-11843-1264949950.jpg

post-11843-1264949958.jpg

post-11843-1264949966.jpg

post-11843-1264949972.jpg

Looks 1930s to me, from the hairstyles and general appearance of the uniforms.

Many thanks for the additional comments. I had assumed that it was Great War as the photo was taken in France (at least I assume it was taken in France as all of the printed details on the rear are in French) although I could be wrong. It was certainly with a bunch of other Great War photos.

Jonathan

Out of interest, if we are to assume they are Hussars there is a MIC to a George Pringle, 10th Hussars, on Ancestry.

The card is address/named on the rear to James T (or F) Pringle, 16 Double Row, Bedlington, North, so I wonder if there could be some link. There is also a MIC to Jame Pringle of the South Notts Hussars although this would seem a strange unit for a Northumberland man.

Jonathan

Some observations...

1. Many regiments wore the PoW's feathers - could be Yeomanry (e.g. Wiltshire)

2. I'd say crossed rifles as well

3. Is it a flaw, or does front right have a medal ribbon on (MM?) ?