Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Quiz..OSD cap WW1 or later?

dutchbarge

Hello,

At one point I was pretty sure this cap was of WW1 vintage, however I am beginning to wonder. Could the Forum members please look at the fotos and offer their judgement?

Thanks and cheers, BIll

post-21989-1264811401.jpg

The exterior looks to be WW1 vintage. Seams, narrow chinstrap, small chinstrap buttons, ventilation grommets, welting, provision of a hinge to raise or lower the crown's peak, etc. all match other caps in my collection of which I am almost certain are '14-18' vintage. The fabric is a cotton twill.

post-21989-1264811607.jpg

Where I have my doubts is the interior. The sweat band is of a thicker and darker color leather than normal for WW1 caps that I've seen and has a rectangular area of stitching in the forehead area for some sort of lining (gone now or possibly never installed) which is similar to later vintage caps I've seen. The label reads "C.G.SOUTHCOTT CO-PARTERSHIP Ltd. LEEDS". Your imput is much appreciated. THanks and cheers, Bill

post-21989-1264811963.jpg

And one last foto of the crown in the snapped down 'field' position from the side. It really does lower the wearer's profile considerably!

cap_side_peak_down.JPG

post-21989-1264812583.jpg

C G Southcott Co-Partnership Ltd, Clothiers

Dates: Existed from 1911 to 1980

http://www.apr.ac.uk/artists/searches/arti...=GB/NNAF/B53729

Thank you for the information and the link. This definately keeps open the possibility of it having been made '14-'18. I'll bookmark the link as it is a great resourse.

Cheers, BIll