Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Labour corps cap badge.

Alby

Thanks Ivor and Andy. My great uncle Frank Gilbert Goulding 585700 served with them. According to cwgc he died on 4-2-1920 and is buried in Romsey, I'm going to try to find out how he died next. Alby.

Hi Alby

I take it you are aware that your Great uncle also served in the Hampshire Regt with the number 1720.

Going from the Hampshire Regt to the labour corp is likely to mean that he was at some time injured making him unfit for front line service. It is also possible that he suffered an illness making him unfit.

Look on free BDM to obtain the referance you will need to order his death cert to find out how he died. Also his date of death entitles him to a CWGC headstone which, if he has one, would most likely have the Hampshire regt badge rather than the Labour Corp on it.

Best of luck with piecing it all together

Andy

Alby

I have done a quick BDM index look up for you & to order his death cert (cost £7) you will need to click HERE & enter the following info:

Full name of individual: Frank Gilbert Goulding

Month and year of registration: March 1920

Age at time of death: 29

Birth date:

Registration district: THANET

Inferred county: KENT

Volume number: 2a

Page number: 1321

Now all you need is his date of birth but you should be ok to proceed without it.

Andy

Thanks Andy, I found this on a website today. It looks like they've spelt his middle name with a C instead of a G. The Gouldings are all related and Frank and Eggins are half brothers. Alby.

post-52593-1264854395.jpg

I've looked up William Henry Clelford on the above memorial and found out that he was wounded in action, and discharged in 9-1-1918, but never died from his wounds untill 1926 aged 38. Alby.

This is not too unusual.

Who was or was not commemorated on parish & civic memorials was decided locally & therefore you will often find people named on these memorials who fall outside the remit of CWGC.

Andy