Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capbadges

eparges

Hi,

I've had these 3 badges for years, but always wondered them be authentic or not. In the mean time, someone told me the Hood is a fake, no brass badge with slider existed...

badge110.jpg

badge210.jpg

Tanks and Bucks Bn look OK to me; there is considerable debate about RND badges. The RND experts will tell you that the badge should have loops and a Gaunt Plaque to the reverse. There are two versions of the Nelson Battalion badge, illustrated by Cox in his book, one with a slider, and the great and the good on the BM Badge Forum have debated that one. It's smaller than the standard ones. Similar in size, in fact to your Hood example, with a similarly long slider. So, officially, its a fake (so-called restrike) if it doesn't have loops/plaque. However...?

Cheers

Peter

Thanx for that Peter. Would you have the link/adress to this badge forum (sorry don't know it :blush: )?

Can be a bit heavy going....

Epages,

I agree...the Tanks is repro and personally I would not touch a RND on slider. The Gaunt plate is a debatable point but again if I were parting with my cash I would only buy a Gaunt one.

Tt

Interesting; I agree that sliders are the norm for the Tank Corps, but you never know. I have a MGC badge on loops, which, I am reliably informed via the badge forum, is a Canadian production. Who knows? I wouldn't rule it out, but that's me.

Cheers

Peter

The MGC badge was an identical design for the Canadian and had their own makers hence the non-standard loops. That TC badge is a well known fake from a fake die.

Peter,

I would buy MGC on slider and loops and indeed have both.

Regards

TT

PS e mail sent re RND query.

Theres something not right about all of them, the black 'ageing' on badges is the most obvious.

Theres something not right about all of them, the black 'ageing' on badges is the most obvious.

The Buckinghamshire Battalion badge is meant to be black, and shows appropriate age wear. Although I accept the views of others regarding the slider as being the standard fitting on the Tank Corps badge, I'm not convinced that this badge has a black finish to denote 'ageing'. As for the Hood Bn badge, well, again, that is open to debate in some quarters. As with all areas of collecting, opinions are, after all, opinions.

Cheers

Peter

Attached are photos of mine, which is a genuine badge with known provenance. Note is has no Gaunt plate First the front.

Cheers

Chris

The rear

post-14124-1264804126.jpg

post-14124-1264804201.jpg

Looks good, but the absence of a 'Gault Plaque' would put some people off. I have several Nelson Bn badges, all different. Only one has a Gault plaque - but I believe that to be a fake one, actually. Another, in similar condition to your Hood badge, and again with good provenance, lacks the plaque. You pays your money and takes your chance!

Peter

Re Gaunt plaque...

Indeed true words Peter however I did swap my non Gaunt Nelson for a Gaunt one with the same dealer nad no price difference. He was of the school that there were both. I am not saying that is not the case but I tend to prefer the Gaunt examples.

Regards

TT

Re Gaunt plaque...

Indeed true words Peter however I did swap my non Gaunt Nelson for a Gaunt one with the same dealer nad no price difference. He was of the school that there were both. I am not saying that is not the case but I tend to prefer the Gaunt examples.

Regards

TT

I know what you mean, TT; i've just added two Gaunt Plaque badges to my collection - Drake (which I've been hunting for some time!, has separate words), and Howe. So maybe I've got that affliction, too!

Cheers

Peter

(ps - did you get my e-mail re RND MG badge?)

Peter,

Yes..will e mail piccies.

Regards

TT

eparqes - capbadges original or restrikes

Concerning the above subject, about 15 odd years ago, armed with an ad. 'military badges for sale' I headed to an address in Whaleybridge, Derbyshire. The place was easy to find and had probably been a stable and stableyard at one time, with large doors closing off the entrance from the street. On gaining entry I was confronted, not with the proverbial metal bath filled with badges, but uncountable metal baths, each one filled with military badges. They were not mixed, one type to a bath only, there were regiment, corps, home and overseas, cap badges and helmet plates, and the price, hold your breath, one pound each. At the time, I was collecting badges to Irish Regiments, so I bought some Irish ones to use as black sheep and to help in identifying genuine badges. There was no attempt at deception, and all these badges were sold as restrikes. They also provided typewritten catalogues listing 400 different types, if memory serves. This is probably the source for many of to-days problems with badges. At the time, the big surprise from this experience, was the cool reception this information received when it was passed on to other collectors of my aquaintance. They just didn't want to know, in case they had bought, or had any any duds in their collections!

Dez