Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th.Royal Fusiliers

nicburch

According to history of the battalion they were on Welsh Ridge at the end of December 1917(the period i am researching) attached to the 63rd.Three coys. involved in attacking the old Hindenburg support trench,has anyone researched this period.Is it possible to find in which coy.a paticular private was in at the time.

Nick.

• 2 months later...

Nick......I have visited this area about 3 times as a result of investigating the actions of the Hood Batt./RND, at the end of December, 1917. Don't have them to hand, but I have copies of Hood's war-diary for that period, and remember it mentioning the layout of the line, and brigade/battalion boundaries, etc..

I think I also have a genuine trench map for around that time........so, if you had some actual trench names (e.g. Ostrich, etc.) that can narrow things down.

So, if there is something specific you want help with, let me know, and we'll see if there are some mutual areas of interest ?

Did you manage to go down into the sunken roads of the German lines ? Quite a few vestiges of dug-outs at the cross-roads, just over the fence from the Autoroute picnic-site.......

Slainte, Alan

• 4 weeks later...

Alan,many thanks for your reply i've been away and just noticed.

I'm happy to chat to someone who has been there.I was at La Vaqeurie earlier this year and was very moved being there,i had two great-uncles who perished on the Ridge in November and December 1917 and i am trying to gather more info.One was in 7th.Royal Fusiliers k.i.a.30/12/17,from what i have researched he was in the former Hindenburg support trench attacked in the morning,the official history says'the men could not retire because of the lack of communication trenches'.The other was a driver,84th.field coy.R.E. k.i.a.25/11/17 i do have company history,its strange that the two lived acouple of miles apart in England died so closesly in France.

I would like to revisit with more info,if you can help.

regards,Nick

• 3 months later...

Nick.....completely forgot to re-check for replies on this one, and have only just seen your 2nd note !

If there is anything specific I can help you with, let me know....either from the trench-map I have, the RND notes, or from my actual visits.

I just need to hope you see THIS note !

Slainte, Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Alan,

can you confirm 190th.189th.188th.brigades held front line at this time,and along with hood the 7th.royal fusiliers were with 1/5th.k.s.l.i.,drake,howe and 1st,royal marines in the hindenburg support trench(30/12/17).On my visit i walked up to the ridge from La Vaqeurie to good old man farm via the corner work.i would like to go back with a clearer perspective of the place,i.e. where the lines were and trench positions,it is a vast area to absorb in one visit,

regards,Nick.

• 10 months later...

Hi Nick

Did you get an answer whether it was possible tofind out which company a soldier was in? My grandfather was in the 7thBn Royal Fusiliers, and I'm trying to find out where he would have been at various times.

Thanks

M

Hi Nick

That's great! All I know is that my grandfather - Private Jack Harper No 8472 - joined up on the 16th August 1915 and was demobbed 5th April 1919. I have his demob papers, also his pay book that covers August 1916 - January 1918. The place of payments is 'in the field' - do you know how far forward this would be? Or were you 'in the field' as soon as you left the UK?

I also have scraps of paper with pencilled notes, difficult to read but he went to and from HOUTKERQUE with dispatches (?) 27th-29th October 1917 (signed by ?Lambie 2 Lt for Adjutant) and something about heavy bombardment (?) NE AUDRIGNES - various other remarks but all shorthand so I don't understand them (e.g. HE took hind leg NS) 12th June 1917 18.30 hours. Also a couple of photos of 20-30 men in uniform, presumably he's one of them. I need to ask my father which, if he can identify him. He's getting on a bit himself.

Any information would be good.

Many thanks

Andrea (I used my brother's log on)

hello andrea,

the 7th. Battalion, Royal Fusiliers joined the 63rd (RN) Division in July 1916,and so your grandfather was with a different regiment/s until then.

i have locations of the battalion between September and the end of December 1917 and a divisional history if i can help,but using this site will help you an awful lot.

Hi Nick

That would be very helpful. I visited Kew today for the first time, so got some useful info from the Battalion Diary, including a name to match the signature in the day book - Captain Rattyan - do you know whether the Battalion would have had a single officer doling out pay, or can I assume that my grandfather would have been in his company?

Thanks for your help

Andrea