Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th Reserve Battery RFA

Guest ljcole

The 4th Reserve Battery does not appear on any RFA list I have seen. My great grandfather enlisted on 25/8/1914 as a driver in this battery. The information comes from the medal roll. Regrettably this is as much as I know of his time in the RFA until he joined the Pay Corps in the last weeks of the war having recovered from wounds.

PRO holds only discharge papers from Pay Corps - these make no mention of his time in RFA.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for further information or research.

Many Thanks

Laurence

Reserve batteries were initially used to create the new batteries required by the New Armies. Later they became part of the home defence forces. 4 Res Bty RFA was part of 1B Reserve Brigade RFA in November 1918 and was stationed at Forrest Row, Sussex. I think your best bet would be to contact The Royal Artillery Institution, Old Royal Military Academy, Woolwich, London SE18 4DN.

Charles M

Guest BryanShanks

Laurence and Charles,

I am very interested in both your postings.

For several years I have been trying to trace my father' s movements after he was wounded, (one leg amputated.)

He was discharged from 5c Res Bde. He enlisted into the RFA 28.08.14, arrived in France 11.05.15 (probably 9th (Scottish) Division) wounded at Arras Easter 1917, discharged 04.09.17.

For what it is worth, I did make contact about five years ago with The Royal Artillery Institution. Their comment was 5c Res Bde was probably The Royal Herbert Hospital, Woolwich (now luxury flats).

Be warned before you ask for information, they make a charge!

It makes sense I suppose to have an establishment such as a hospital designated a reserve unit, what good amtutees would have been is another matter.

I have seen mention of 6c Res Bde, so there must have been a few.

My father made bi-annual visits until his death in 1963, to Roehampton for his MOT, new stump socks and renovation of the heavy leather harness.

Do you have details of 5c Res Bde Charles? I have been dead in the water for years, now a small glimmer of hope?

In anticipation,

Bryan Shanks

Bryan

In Nov 1918 5C Bde RFA consisted of 49, 50, and 51 Res Btys and was based at Charlton Park, which is pretty close to Woolwich. I cannot believe that it was based on the Royal Herbert Hospital, which was a military hospital of long standing.

My information comes Farndale `History of the Royal Regiment of Artillery: The Forgotten Fronts and the Home Base, 1914-1918' and I note that it cites notes made by a Major Denis Rollo on the Home Base order of battle. These are held by the Royal Artillery Institution.

Charles

Guest BryanShanks

Charles,

Many thanks for your reply.

I had seen mention to 5c Res Bde as you describe it (probably in the Farndale book) but as my father was discharged from The Royal Herbert in September 1917 (although he did spend time at home prior to discharge) I put my faith in The Royal Artillery Institute - even though it did not sound altogether correct.

As far as I can recall he never mentioned any specific artillery units he served with. He talked about being with the South Africans and hearing their pipe bands, which at the time I took with a pinch of salt. It was not until several years later I discovered The South African Brigade contained many Scotsmen.

Thanks again for your time and trouble,

Bryan Shanks