Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Corp. John Compton 231320 2nd. London Regt.

You can search the 1901 census and the BMD website which will tell you where the records are held . CWGC website will give town details for the next of kin

Soldiers Died in the Great War details :-

231320 Corporal John Compton

2nd (City of London) Battalion (Royal Fusiliers)

London Regiment

Died of Wounds, France & Flanders 14/11/1917

Enlisted Westminster

Residence Bethnal Green

Steve

cvak

Taken from SDGW

231320 Cpl John Compton

Enlisted-Westminster

Residence-Bethnal Green.

Died of wounds-14/11/17

France & Flanders.

Regards Doug

1901 Census Here gives two possibles:

John Compton Age 12 - Born: London Hackney Civil Parish: Hackney

John Compton Age 12 - Born: London Hackney Wick Civil Parish: St Lukes

Many thanks to all for your replies. I am trying to find more about John Compton for my friend who is his grandaughter. When John died he left my friend's father and sister as very small children and sadly his widow never spoke about him or kept any photos. All his life he wanted to know his father. I have been searching on behalf of my friend whose father has now sadly died. We have a marriage cert. but I cannot connect with any certainty to any of the John Comptons in the census. Does the website for soldiers who have died in the first world war have any next of kin or addresses please. Thankyou for all your time, kind regards Christine

Hello Christine and welcome to the forum.

The 2/2nd Londons,were part of 173rd Brigade,the 58th(2/1st)London Division.

My great-grandad was with the 214th Company,MGC,the machine gun company of the 173rd Brigade.

At this time,the Division was stationed in the Ypres area,around Poelcapple,i believe.

The Division,including the 173rd Brigade,were in action in support of the final Canadian push,for Passchendaele,on the 8th/9th of November.

However,from my great-grandads,company,war diary,i know the Brigade were in action on the 10th and 11th as well,so it maybe this man was wounded during this time,and died a few days later.

At this time,and looking at his age,he may have also been a Conscript or a Derby man,the division being made up of men from these two groups,plus some regulars and new army men,who had seen some action.

The conditions were horrible and the division stayed in the area over the winter,before moving down to take over the line from the French,below the Somme river,in early 1918.

I have the 214th Company War Diary for the period and,to say the least,they were very busy.

I have the reference number,somewhere,for the Brigade war diaries,so i will have a look,and see if i can post them soon.

Regards.

Simon Furnell.

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your reply, I will pass the information to my friend. Some of the answers say that John enlisted in Westminster, is it possible to find where this info. came from? Sorry to be a bother, regards Christine

Christine

You say you have a copy of a marriage certifcate. If so, that would contain details of John's father. Add them to your next reply as these will help to identify him on the census.

I will check the 1891 census, when John will have been about 2 or 3 years old, if you provide details of his father.

Regards

Stephen