Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

help in identifying central powers medals

The Guardroom

1. German State of Prussia, War Aid Service Cross.

5. Austrian Empire, Frans Joseph (Signum Memoriae) 50th Anniversary Commemorative Medal.

6. Austrian Empire, Military Merit Medal (Signum Laudis) (Two Crowns) Karl in silver plate with swords on the ribbon

Cheers Andy.

Hi,

Number 1 is the State of Prussia 1916 - 1924 late war issue in zink, War Service Help Cross

aka Verdienstkreuz für kriegshilfe 1916 - 1924,

often to be found alongside Red Cross awards, was freely awarded to medical personel,

from Doctors to Nurses, (Military and Civil) to people who helped the war effort and had a particularly late emmission date, due to the number of civilians who worked in military and civil convelesant homes working with the thousands of wounded and severly mamed soldiers post war.

Early issues were in Silver, and then alunimum, "kriegs-metal" zink being the last model,

The zinkers aresometimes found with a "P" maker mark directly under the hole connecting the ribbon ring to the cross,

as with many seen on ribbon bars, wether single or in groups yours has been mounted backwards.

Number 2 had at one stage a device on the ribbon denoting a Combatant award, this would have been a sword and a wreath of Laurels.

Number 2 and 3 were unofficial veteran bought medals, (two of many variations and types that with the introduction of the Hindenberg Cross series in 1934 were banned from display on serving soldiers and officials medal bars,) many German veterans of WW1 kept them on their medal bars though, unless they held major or minor posts or were recalled for active service in the Nazi period.

As soon as I get 5 mins I will post and example of the correct ribbons for you.

3 & 5 are on the wrong ribbons.

3 is a WW2 German ribbon for the Nazi Iron Cross I believe.

5 is the Austro-Hungarian ribbon for the Balkan Campaign Cross.

I believe Number 3 has a connection to the Kyfferhaüser Bund, but as a members service medal, II Class to the organisation for service, the first Class being a pin back in white enamel and gilt of the same front design, the oval medal was awarded (on payment) to Kyfferhaüser members who saw service in WW1.

Connaught Stranger.

• 1 year later...

Hi, number 4 is on the wrong ribbon also. The ribbon shown is for the Dutch East Asia Resistance Star 1942-1945. (Verzetsster Oost Azie 1942 - 1945.

Cheers

Herman

The ribbon on No.3 is the Nazi era 'Kriegsverdienstkreuz' (KVK - War Merit Cross) awarded for distinguished non-combat service. Its structure mirrored the Iron Cross. Could be awarded to civilians and military.