Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

First Identification?

MelPack

Wouldn't that be good.

Maybe he had a I.D. tag still located with his remains.

Rest in peace soldier boy's.

Cheers Andy. :poppy:

Hi,

Just clicked on the above link and my Kaspersky Virus Alert went off saying there was a Trojan attached and to terminate the Download.

Thought I should let you know.

Regards, Peter

Peter

I think that is an entirely false alert but here is the key element of the article:

WORLD War I Digger Justin Breguet remains unidentified by technology but identified by valour and will soon have a new resting place on France's fields.

The Geelong bread carter died at 18 after having gone over the top at Fromelles in 1916 during Australia's bloodiest 24 hours at war.

His service record has for decades carried the stark words "no known grave" but he will soon rank among the men dignified by burial with full honours at a new military cemetery.

Private Breguet was among 250 Australian and British soldiers lying in an unmarked mass grave at Pheasant Wood, Fromelles, buried by German soldiers.

Officials have been unable to certify his remains via family DNA but all other indicators including his military tag point to his identity.

Highton's Sharyn Powell is Private Breguet's registered relative and believes the evidence is conclusive.

Mel

I certainly hope the inference of this article is correct and that Breguet has been identified but I'm a bit dubious about what the journo is actually saying.

We know that Breguet's ID tag was sent back to relatives from Germany (and therefore wouldn't have been with the body when recovered) and I think it's this that the writer is referring to. I suspect what he's trying to say is that there is evidence enough to support the fact that Breguet is one of the 250 buried at Pheasant Wood even though his remains haven't yet been individually identified by DNA.

Fortunately the descendant named in the article was one of those located by Sandra and I and put in touch with the authorities so I have her contact details. I will send her an email and try to clarify what the article is saying.

The official announcements regarding individual identifications is to be made in March and I would think that descendants would probably only be notified a matter of days prior to this. I doubt the authorities would be notifying descendants this early in the piece knowing full well that it would become public knowledge before they had a chance to release their findings.

Cheers,

Tim L.

Hi All,

I have been in contact with the descendant and can unfortunately confirm that there has been 'NO' identification of Justin Breguet. In fact, she told me that they had been informed that the DNA supplied by the family had no match.

As I suspected, what the journo was trying to say is that although there has been no DNA match, all other indicators and evidence strongly suggest that he is one of the 250.

It's seems to be a bit of a misinterpretation of what the journo 'awkwardly' intended. What a shame - it would've been really great to have our first ID confirmed!!

Cheers,

Tim L.