Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uknown medal

PatW

This does not seem to be a regular military medal. It belonged to my grandfather who fought in both world wars. The back of the medal is stamped with "Metal Arts Co. Rochester NY" and I believe it was made during WWI. Does anyone recognize the medal?

post-52953-1264379757.jpg

Pat,

Can't help much, but think it might be a Divisional type medal. The six emblems on the branches are emblems for different branches of the US Army- engineers, artillery, cavalry, marines, infantry and I don't know what the anchor is.

Do you know what division you Grandfather fought with? Might be a medal to that division.

Scott

I think its the Army and Navy Union, veterans organisation.

Mick

Wow, thanks for the quick replies. I knew I was at the right place to ask. I am a bit confused on what branch my grandfather served. My father told me Merchant Marine. Along with his medals there was pin that says Atlantic Fleet. I am guessing that is suppose to be attached to his WWI victory medal. I have a picture of him in uniform with Master Sargent shoulder patch and patch that has a star with two wings coming from it. He also has a wings pin above his ribbons.

Another medal for WWI has the inscription on the back saying it was from the people of South Amherst, Ohio in gratude for serving the World War. There is a memorial statue in South Amherst with his name on it, as well as, the names of others served.

Also welcome to the forum ..you will usually get a answer

MC

In answering part of my own confusion, I found out the shoulder patch is an Army Air Force patch. My father's military records were destroyed by the fire that destroyed a lot of records. I wonder if my grandfather's records were destroyed also. I will have to find out more information about his service record and ask about his military records.

Thanks Chalky179 and Mick for identifying the Army and Navy Union medal.

Pat