Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

resuest for uniform ID

GregoryB

They're both definitely privates in the British army and are both members of the Royal Army Medical Corps. The man in the top picture has overseas stripes that show he's served at least three years. The stripes point to the photos dating from at least 1918.

They're both definitely privates in the British army and are both members of the Royal Army Medical Corps. The man in the top picture has overseas stripes that show he's served at least three years. The stripes point to the photos dating from at least 1918.

The chap in the top photo appears to be weaing breeches (as opposed to trousers) and it looks like his puttees are wound top down so he may have had mounted role.

I am not sure of the significance of the star - "Grumpy" or one of the other insignia experts will enlighten us I hope. (There was a TF efficiency star but I am not sure if this might mean something different in the RAMC)

Chris

Hi Gregory

Interesting images. Soldier A has the white on khaki embroidered slip on, RAMC, stitched to the top of the sleeve above the cloth patch.

Dress-Shoulder Titles (GRO 2137) The worsted shoulder titles now being issued and which are at present worn on the shoulder strap, will in future be worn on the sleeve just below the point of the shoulder.

The alteration to existing jackets will be carried out under regimental arrangements. (13.2.17)

The above Army General Routine Order helps with dating photos showing these titles being worn in this way. Presumably this also meant moving any cloth battle patches already in use downwards!

Regards

Tocemma