Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sidney James Pearsall

Stebie9173

Hello, all.

I'm trying to help someone on another Forum to track down the movements of three brothers who served in the 1st Northamptons in the 1880s and 1890s (outside the remit here, obviously) of which two served in the Great War.

One was Sidney James Pearsall. Born in 1873, we know he enlisted in 1890 and served until at least the early 1900s as a Warrant Officer in the Northamptons. Either before the war or at the start of it he was granted an Honorary Commission and served as Quartermaster to the 10th Sherwood Foresters for what looks like the whole war. After the war he became a Yeoman of the Guard and served with them for another 38 years, retiring at age 86 !

Here is a summary of what we have so far:

- Born in india on 26-2-1873.

- Served in the Northamptonshire Regiment from 1890, latterly as L/Sgt. (1896) and Quartermaster-Sergeant.

- Enlisted approx. May 1890

- Lance-Corporal Sydney Pearsall, age 19, 1st Northamptonshire Regiment, born in India (British Subject) appears at Central Barracks, Aldershot on the 1891 Census.

- L/Sgt. in "A" Company of 1st Northamptons in 1896 Secunderabad photos.

- Entitled to the India General Service Medal with three Clasps for Tirah 1897-98, Samana 1897 & Punjab Frontier 1897-98.

- Does not appear in battalion casualty list for the Tirah Campaign, late 1897.

- Married in Tottenham to Amy Eva Johnson, 2-8-1899 whilst still a serving soldier.

- Appointed Quartermaster & Honorary Lt. with 10th Bn. Sherwood Foresters, date ??. (Possibly in 1914)

- To France with 10th, Sherwood Foresters, 14-7-1915.

- Mentioned in Despatches as Honorary Lt. & Quartermaster, London Gazette 15-6-1916 *

- Promoted Hon. Captain & Quartermaster, 12-9-1917.

- Mentioned in Despatches as Q/M & Capt. with 10th S.F., London Gazette 5-6-1919 *

- Awarded the O.B.E. as Hon. Captain & Quartermaster, London Gazette 3-6-1919 *

- Listed as holding the M.B.E. as of relinquishment of commission in 1920. *

- Relinquished commission and retain the rank of Hon. Captain, 10-2-1920. *

- Transferred to the Regular Reserve of Officers, date ??

- Per London Gazette - "Having attained the age limit of liability to recall ceases to belong to the Res. of Off., 3-3-1927." *

- Served with the Yeoman of the Guard from 1921 to 1959.

- Awarded the Royal Victorian Medal (Silver) as a Yeoman of the Guard in the Queen's Birthday Honours, 12-6-1958 *

- Address per MIC: 26 West St., Carshalton, Surrey (medals claim 1920)

- Died in Surrey on 21-6-1961, age 88.

His presence with the 10th Sherwood Foresters as Quartermaster in 1915 has been picked up from a post on Rootsweb by Steve Morse back in 2004. EDIT: I note that the N&M preview of the battalion history mentions him as serving through the war in the 10th, and also gives his nickname as "Willie".

I have the London Gazette entries as marked* (there was a mix up on two M.B.E./O.B.E. awards between two men of the same surname.) The error on the name has meant that one Derbyshire men site has picked up the wrong Pearsall as being awarded the M.B.E. with the 10th battalion.

So, can anyone add anything else, please ? We would be particularly interested in his date of transfer to the Sherwood Foresters, and to know whether he had been commissioned before the war and then posted to the 10th, or whether his commission was due to joining the 10th.

I have seen the reference to his file on the NA Catalogue, but have not had chance to review it yet.

Thanks in advance,

Steve.

Hi Steve

The 10th History by Hoyte talks of the 'early days' (ie from August 1914 and before Oct 1914) and that Willie arrived as Quartermaster in the first of those early days.

Don't know if its of any help.

The War Diary only starts in July 15

Mike

Hi Steve,

The Battalion History by Hoyte shows him proceeding to France with Headquarters when the battalion landed in July 1915,

Richard

Thnaks, Mike.

Some really kind person gave me a CD with the War Diaries a couple of years back at an East Midlands meet. :D

I've been through the War Diary, but I can't see him named at all. Considering he served through the war, (i.e. didn't get wounded, etc), that isn't a major surprise bearing in mind how unheralded the work of the Quartermasters was in the War Diaries.

Thanks, Richard. It's nice to confirm he was with the battalion when they landed. I suspect he was probably with the advance party in fact, assuming they sent one, as many battalions did.

Steve.

• 3 months later...

Hi Steve

In W. N. Hoyte's battalion history Capt. Pearsall also has a special mention on page 77 for his "astuteness and faculty for doing the right thing at the right time". He was a well respected QM and the war of many officers and men could have been an even more hellish place without him.

The book is a really good read.

Hope this helps.

Keith

Remembering Private 19716 Charles Henry Dorn. Killed in action April 23. 1917.

I have this information,

S. J. Pearsall (Willie) Enlisted into Sherwood Foresters in 1890 at Derby.

Served in Tirah Expedition of 1897-98. Quartermaster and Hon/Lieut 10th Battalion The Sherwood Foresters 12th September 1914 and joined the Battalion in France on the 20th January 1917 (War Diary).

Honorary Captain 12th September 1917.

Despatches twice, O.B.E., later served as a Yeoman of the Guard.

13th February 1919.

Epagnette

Parades and Education. The Colours were taken to ABBEVILLE by 2nd Lt. B.W. STAFFORD and colour party. Capt. G.F. MARCH M.C. and Capt. S.J. PEARSALL accompanying them. BRONNO