Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain - The Oxfordshire Light Infantry

Philip Wilson

post-48147-1264272045.jpg

This rather water stained photo is mounted on board for display purposes by Gibson and Sons, Penzance & Scilly Isles which may provide the clue to the home and identity of this unknown Captain of the Oxfordshire Light Infantry. Unless I am mistaken he is wearing staff officer's red tabs. It was purchased in a junk shop in Warwick some twenty years ago, there being no other supporting items with it.

Any information as to his identity would be most welcome please.

Philip

I think there may be a clue in his straps, which is not of the usual Sam Browne crossover type.

Have patience Philip. I'm sure an expert will be along soon.

Not staff officer's tabs: officers of the O&BLI wore gorget tabs in place of collar dogs (I think one of the predecessor regiments was the last to give up the gorget).

Also, the double-brace Sam Browne was a regimental affectation.

I cannot help any more than has been provided above but it does look to me like he is holding his left hand rather strangely - or is it injured or deformed in some way?

Chris

Hello all,

As Broomers has pointed out Ox and Bucks LI had a unique collar badge. Follow this link http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...ox+bucks+collar

post-7141-1264298534.jpg

The double brace Sam Browne was a Regimental requirement , although this version does not seem to conform to the usual pattern which seems to have had a distinctive squared buckle. This seems to be a 'normal' pattern worn as per Regimental custom.

Regards

Tocemma

Not staff officer's tabs: officers of the O&BLI wore gorget tabs in place of collar dogs (I think one of the predecessor regiments was the last to give up the gorget).

Also, the double-brace Sam Browne was a regimental affectation.

Chris

Thanks - yes gorget tabs in place of collar dogs

Philip

I cannot help any more than has been provided above but it does look to me like he is holding his left hand rather strangely - or is it injured or deformed in some way?

Chris

Chris

Yes possibly - here is a better image - he is holding a pair of gloves

post-48147-1264337623.jpg

Philip

Hello all,

As Broomers has pointed out Ox and Bucks LI had a unique collar badge.

The double brace Sam Browne was a Regimental requirement , although this version does not seem to conform to the usual pattern which seems to have had a distinctive squared buckle. This seems to be a 'normal' pattern worn as per Regimental custom.

Regards

Tocemma

Tocemma

Thanks for the images and for the link to the previous thread.

The T on the gorget in your image is for a Territorial. Here the unknown Captain's gorget has no T which implies he may be in a Regular Bn?

post-48147-1264338087.jpg

Philip

Sorry, yes I should have said, mine has Ts for Territorial. Your chap is either from a Regular or Service Battalion.

Tocemma

Sorry, yes I should have said, mine has Ts for Territorial. Your chap is either from a Regular or Service Battalion.

Tocemma

Tocemma

Well I am sure we will eventually strike lucky and find him in a Regular or Service Bn.

Best wishes

Philip