Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt Harold Vernon Walklate 14th Batt AIF

Glenn Warnes

This is a newspaper clipping from ‘The Argus’ dated 16 August 1917 commemorating the opening of the Menin Gate memorial on 24 July 1927.

The clipping is in my copy of ‘The Anzac Book’ sent home by Lt (later Captain) H V Walklate 4th LTMB (Light Trench Mortar Battery) 4th Inf Bgde AIF France on 18/11/1916 to J W Walklate Balaclava Road Caulfield (Melbourne) Victoria Australia

Capt Walklate was later KIA in 1917 while with D company 14 Battalion AIF (all the information inside the front cover of the book). I brought this book many years ago.

A search of the Australian War Memorial site revealed that Captain Harold Vernon Walklate served in the 14th Battalion and died on 22 October 1917. He is commemorated on panel 74 Memorial 29 The Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial Belgium (hence the clipping). He enlisted in Malvern Victoria and was born in Launceston Tasmania. Capt. Harold Vernon Walktate. Was the son of John Wolfe Walklate and Annie Willoughby Walklate, of D'lorah, Adeney Avenue, Kew, Victoria.

I would say a family member has inserted the clipping as a memento along with a number of pressed flowers.

A photo of the relevant panel would be appreciated to complete the story

This book has a story to tell in more ways than one

Spider

post-19-1084264759.jpg

Hello Spider!

I have an idea! I'll take my car tomorrow, and try to take a picture of panel 74.

Joris

Hello Spider!

I have an idea! I'll take my car tomorrow, and try to take a picture of panel 74.

Joris

Is that the big BIG car ????

Much appretiated.

Glenn (spider)

Hello Spider,

Here we are again. I took the big car and my tiny digicam and took a great picture for you!

But first of all, I made a big mistake; he's remembered on panel 17! All men of the 14th Bn missing are remembered there.

Have a lot of pleasure with the pics!

Joris

Westouter

post-19-1084384158.jpg

This picture locate panel 17. He's at your right hand side when you walk up the stairs. (Look at the wreaths, from ANZAC-day)

I took the picture at the other side of the route, with left Ieper and right the direction Menen.

GRTZ

Joris

Wetsouter

Flanders

post-19-1084384963.jpg

Hello Spider,

Here we are again. I took the big car and my tiny digicam and took a great picture for you!

But first of all, I made a big mistake; he's remembered on panel 17! All men of the 14th Bn missing are remembered there.

Have a lot of pleasure with the pics!

Joris

Westouter

Joris

Thank you very much for your assistance and the photos.

It is funny how things transpire, through Capt Walklate sending a book to his father about his service in Gallipoli, a family member putting a newspaper clipping inside the book he is still the topic of conversation today.

“We will remember them”

Will have to catch up when I visit this year.

Glenn (spider)

post-19-1084407461.jpg

Glad I could help you!

See you later, alligator, sorry, spider!

Joris

PS: The weather is fine down under?

PS: The weather is fine down under?

Joris

Cold and minus 3 here tonight (working nights at the moment)

spider

• 1 year later...

Joris

Did you by any chance keep a copy of the photos from the Menin Gate for Harold WALKLATE, his great nephew has been in contact with me via the forum and would be of intrest to him.

Thanks

Glenn

• 14 years later...

I know this thread quite old - but wondering if the book still your possession? And if so, any likelihood of being will to sell it? 

Regards Phil Walklate (great nephew of Harold)

Hi Phil and welcome to the forum.

4 hours ago, Walkie said:

I know this thread quite old - but wondering if the book still your possession? And if so, any likelihood of being will to sell it? 

@spider hasn't been on the forum since the end of December, but if you reply to this you will then have enough posts to access the forum private messaging system. Unless spider has turned the facility off he should then get a notification that there is a message waiting for him.

Cheers,

Peter

6 hours ago, Walkie said:

I still have the book in my possession with all the personal inserts still with it, I purchased it in the mid 1970's.

There's always something or, in this case, someone new to discover from this wonderful forum.  Original posts from before my time and recently a link to the family continues it further.  Excellent.

Looking at Wanliss, Captain Walklate is mentioned on pages 253 and 254.  The first refers to his demise and states that he was the 10th and the last captain of the 14th to be killed during the war.  The second relates how he was a rigid disciplinarian but popular amongst all the ranks, brave and always keen for action.  A fine leader by the sounds of it.

He is remembered, :poppy:

Jonathan

• 2 years later...
On 26/01/2021 at 16:09, Guest said:

The book was gifted and returned to Phil and the family.

Lovely outcome.  Well done.

Jonathan