Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap Badge - Loyal Regiment

kingsman

post-23684-1264113510.jpgpost-23684-1264113510.jpgCan any put a unit to this badge.

It is a silver plated white metal (both parts), construction is the same as regular OR's of the same period. The lugs have been neatly removed and replaced by fittings used by officers on a particular type of headdress. The Regimental Museum has not been able to provide any info.

Image loaded in two parts

It is a standard WW1 era other ranks cap badge - probably pre war due to the lugs. the design changed between the wars. The 'new' fastenings are often found on side cap (field service) badges. It may have been plated by a Volunteer for wear with walking out (No 1 dress).

The loop and tab fitting is often found on early (turn of the century) officers badges, why anyone would remove the original loops and revert to this fixing is beyond me?

Thanks for your opinions it not a standard OR's badge as pointed out BOTH parts of the badge are white metal. The change of method of fasting has been noted on badges to other regiments for use on the FSC. Question is did any battalion, militia, VB, TA or possibly SNCO or band wear a WM cap badge.

I note that a dealer has a qvc version for sale described a 'militia'

If it is plated are you sure that it is white metal underneath? I can't comment on VB but the TF were allowed to wear wm badges on their No 1 Dress hats before 1914. Unlikely to tbe band with that fixing.

Yes body of badge definately WM the SP has worn off parts of the badge.

So looks as if it could be TA unofficial walking out wear.

I recall 40 years or ago a guy who set up postal sales for collecters did have a 'small sized' officers silver walking out badge in one of his sales.