Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German shell casing 77mm

wulsten

Can anyone tel if this shell casing has been cut down or is it standard, the base seems to be slightly smaller in diameter to other 77mm casings ive seen and the body of the casing seems thicker can anyone add anything ?

height approc 118mm

post-9296-1264106091.jpg

post-9296-1264106101.jpg

As ever with questions like this, it is helpful if the measurements are given in order that they may be compared with a "normal" case.

Regards

TonyE

hello Wulsten,

the Germans did use a 77 x 118 mm case for their "Blockhauskanone" which they used in the fortresses around Metz.

It was a gun with short recoil and designed for use in confined spaces.

The rim diameter of the case is 87 mm.

Could you post a better scan of the bottom please?

Kind regards Arjen

Arjen, thanks for the reply the diameters are height 118mm & Base 87mm, have added the best picture i can get of the base hope it is of use etc, you appear to have the knowledge to be able to post on this topic unlike the previous unhelpful one, best regards, Geoff

post-9296-1264164643.jpg

Hi Wulsten,

thanks for the photo.

With those dimensions and the primer being that large (33 mm) instead of the 8 mm primer used by the standard 77x230 mm case for the various Feldkanonen, I'm pretty sure this is a case for the 7,7 cm Blockhauskanone.

"unlike the previous unhelpful one" euhm.. have I missed something?

regards Arjen

I too would be interested to know what you considered unhelpful, since I was the only other poster.

Regards

TonyE

Anyone who has read topics/replies from TonyE over the years would know only too well that a great wealth of helpful information can be learnt from him, even more information than asked was for! He is always helpful to everyone on the forum.

Dont be too hasty in your critiscism wulsten!

Anyone who has read topics/replies from TonyE over the years would know only too well that a great wealth of helpful information can be learnt from him, even more information than asked was for! He is always helpful to everyone on the forum.

Dont be too hasty in your critiscism wulsten!

Thank you, I appreciate that.

Regards

TonyE

HI,

RMF : Rheinische Metallwaren und Machinen Fabrik

Regards,

Cnock

RMF : Rheinische Metallwaren und Maschinen Fabrik

Thanks, Cnock. On further investigation, it did not become Rheinmetall until after the First World War.