Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

American cemetery, Belgium

Guest Bloodyyank

Guest Bloodyyank

I am researching the mass dis-interment of 3700 Americian soldiers, sailors, and marines from an Americian cemetery in Belgium during 1921.

There was an impressive ceremony and the flag draped caskets were placed in a warehouse in Antwerpt, where wreathes & flowers were placed on them prior to being shipped to the United States. This ceremony took place on Decoration day 1921. An Americian Honor guard also fired a salute over the one lone Americian grave left in the cemetery that represented the rest of the Americian soldiers that had once laid there.

My Question's are, what was the name of the Cemetery, and where was it located.

Are there any records kept (newspaper?) that described the ceremony where over 7000 Americian and European citizens attended to Honor those fallen on their behalf?

Good question..... I'd liek to know the answer as well. I never knew this cemetary had existed. Andy

I am researching the mass dis-interment of 3700 Americian soldiers, sailors, and marines from an Americian cemetery in Belgium during 1921.

There was an impressive ceremony and the flag draped caskets were placed in a warehouse in Antwerpt, where wreathes & flowers were placed on them prior to being shipped to the United States. This ceremony took place on Decoration day 1921. An Americian Honor guard also fired a salute over the one lone Americian grave left in the cemetery that represented the rest of the Americian soldiers that had once laid there.

My Question's are, what was the name of the Cemetery, and where was it located.

Are there any records kept (newspaper?) that described the ceremony where over 7000 Americian and European citizens attended to Honor those fallen on their behalf?

Are you sure it was from just one cemetery?

Here's a picture of that warehouse in Antwerp, but these are supposedly US troops awaiting shipping back to the US who have been disinterred from several graves and cemeteries for re-patriation. (also 1921).

Dave.

post-19-1084532359.jpg

Guest Bloodyyank

This photo is of an American Honor Guard, preparing to salute a lone American grave in a Belgium Cemetery.

Deco.jpg

I am not positive that the bodies came from one cemetery.

I have some images simular to the one you posted (I'm reasonably confident that they are from the same warehouse building/location) and belived to have been taken by a friends granddad, where may I ask, did you obtain your copy?

In the Ypres Salient there were, to my knowledge, 3 Cemeteries which had an American plot:

1.Abeele Aerodrome Military Cemetery: 84 burials

2.Lijsenthoek Military Cemetery Poperinge: 47 burials of whom 3 are still remaining in that Cem.

3.Nine Elms British Cemetery Poperinge:95 burials

There possibly other Cem's, I am thinking in particular in terms of the final offensive, which had American burials.

Most of the soldiers have been repatriated but some have been reburied at In Flanders Field Cemetery in Waregem.

Seeing the last picture I think this is such a reburial in Waregem. The outlines and shape of the Cem looks familiar.

Jacky

In the Ypres Salient there were, to my knowledge, 3 Cemeteries which had an American plot:

1.Abeele Aerodrome Military Cemetery: 84 burials

2.Lijsenthoek Military Cemetery Poperinge: 47 burials of whom 3 are still remaining in that Cem.

3.Nine Elms British Cemetery Poperinge:95 burials

There possibly other Cem's, I am thinking in particular in  terms of the final offensive, which had American burials.

Most of the soldiers have been repatriated but some have been reburied at In Flanders Field Cemetery in Waregem.

Seeing the last picture I think this is such a reburial in Waregem. The outlines and shape of the Cem looks familiar.

Jacky

And there are less than 400, 368 I think, at Wareghem. About 70% of known dead were returned to US. It's hard to believe there were ever 3700 in Belgium. Are you sure all of them were killed & buried there? It seems to me there would have been far fewer. More likely they were brought from France to Antwerp for transport.

I have some images simular to the one you posted (I'm reasonably confident that they are from the same warehouse building/location) and belived to have been taken by a friends granddad, where may I ask, did you obtain your copy?

From a collection of press photographs that I managed to obtain a few years ago, mostly from the 1910-1930 period.

Dave.

And there are less than 400, 368 I think, at Wareghem. About 70% of known dead were returned to US. It's hard to believe there were ever 3700 in Belgium. Are you sure all of them were killed & buried there? It seems to me there would have been far fewer. More likely they were brought from France to Antwerp for transport.

Hi All,

The 27th, 30th, & 37th AEF Divisions participated in the final British offensive, their combined battle deaths were 4,391. So I would say it could have been 3,700 soldiers disinterred.

Take care,

Neil

PS This wouldn't include those who died of disease after the Armistice.

The 27th, 30th, & 37th AEF Divisions participated in the final British offensive, their combined battle deaths were 4,391. So I would say it could have been 3,700 soldiers disinterred.

...and the 91st Division. This division captured the Spitaals-Bosschen, not far from "Flanders Field" Cemetery. In fact, it was originally a 91st Division cemetery.

Most of the soldiers interred there today still come from either the 91st or 37th Divisions. These two divisions, along with the 27th and 30th Divisions suffered approx. 4700 casualties in this sector and took 10,112 prisoners between the end of September and November 1918.

Dave.

Our US Branch WFA visit to Ypres last April included these battles. Nov 1 to 10 37 & 91 were in action in Belgium, 27 & 30 were still with British in France after fighting near Vierstraat at end of Spetember. You guys are right about the casualties, I missed on that, by casualties I mean KIA.

Many of the 91 men were from Cleveland & Plain Dealer recently had an article which we reprinted in our journal.

Because of a brain **** I was thinking of the Salient & not all of Belgium.

Guest Bloodyyank

Decoration_Day_1921AntwerptBelgium20.jpg

So it appears that the coffins in this warehouse then, contains the remains of american soldiers collected from various battlefields and Cemeterys, likely from the last offensive.

The ceremony took place just prior to the dead being repatirated.

The other photographs of the Honor guard may-or may not have taken place as part of the same ceremony.

These pictures demonstrate a major contrast to current policy of prohibition of pictures of flag draped coffins. They are very good & I had seen none previously, thanks for putting them up.

Paul-

Slightly off thread so sorry in advance. You mention the difference in policy about pictures of coffins, I believe some photos from Iraq recently appreared in the American media, how was this received if it did indeed happen?

Ali

Ali if I get into current politics this will be jerked. The printing of these was in keeping with freedom of the press but their release was against Pentagon policy & some of the people who took them were fired by their contractor employers. How they were received I think depends on your opinion of the war, there was much reaction that the policy is bad, administration says it's to protect privacy of families & some agree.