Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unusual Death in Salonika?

LincsYellowBelly

My friend's great grandfather M/2/119182 Private Ernest Frank Lewis, remembered with honour at Salonika (Lambet Road) Military Cemetary, died on the 21st of September 1916. In what little Army Records there are he is stated to have drowned accidently on that date. Can anyone enlighten me on the possible circumstances surrounding his death please? Any help much appreciated.

Regards,

Christian

Can't provide any details on how he died, but only 7 deaths in the Cemetery that day:

001 GOLDEN TP 84163 D BTY 115TH BDE 21/09/1916 ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY

002 LEWIS WW 45665 23RD BN 21/09/1916 WELSH REGIMENT

003 LEWIS EF M2/119182 598TH COY 21/09/1916 ARMY SERVICE CORPS

004 NOBLE JJ 23288 5TH BN 21/09/1916 ROYAL INNISKILLING FUSILIERS

005 PARKINSON HV 163476 12TH LABOUR COY 21/09/1916 ROYAL ENGINEERS

006 POLLARD FJ 1874/ST HMS ST GEORGE 21/09/1916 ROYAL NAVAL RESERVE

007 SIMMONS E 65504 66TH FIELD AMB 21/09/1916 ROYAL ARMY MEDICAL CORPS

As he was ASC, I could speculate that he may just have been swimming.

The Cemetery details include "The town was the base of the British Salonika Force and it contained, from time to time, eighteen general and stationary hospitals".

It may be that there was an accident unloading equipment etc and he was knocked into the water......

Perhaps others might know better?

Or he could have just tripped and fallen off a dock, been in a boating accident, fallen in whilst fishing, swept off his feet crossing a stream etc etc All sorts of ways to be accidentally drowned

Given his burial at Lembet Road, close to the base camp, I would suspect that he probably drowned in the harbour or nearby. This could mean anything from going swimming to falling in from the quay front (easy to do). As an ASC man (598th - I haven't checked what they did or where they were) he may well have been based anywhere on the outskirts of Thessaloniki. I would therefore lean towards an accident during some form of recreation.

Christian ,

598 Co role is shown as 4th Base MT Depot Line of Communication troops . Their War Diary number is shown as WO95/4948 in the ASC papers . The circumstances of his death may be shown in them . As Martin says it may having been a swimming accident .

Maurice