Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Searchable Naval memorial websites in UK

westkent78

Through this forum I recently found the searchable Portsmouth Naval Memorial online containing those sailors buried at sea. Does anyone know if a similar site exists for the Chatham Memorial or any other Naval memorial?

How was it decided which memorial a person's name went on to-is it based on the Naval Division they were in? Sorry for the basic question but I know next to nothing about this aspect of the war.

I don't wish to look up anyone in particular, I'd just like to know if the resource exists.

Thanks,

Matthew

The men lost at sea were placed on the official CWGC naval memorial at the home port of their ship.

I have access to a searchable database of these men.

Terry,

Thank you for the information and solving that little question I had.

In the case of RNAS men lost at sea, they are all recorded on the Chatham Memorial. In the case of RNAS men with no known grave on land, they normally appear on the Flying Services Sub Memorial at Arras. However there are exceptions which appear on the Nieuport Memorial and on the Zeebrugge Memorial to the missing in Zeebrugge Churchyard and I think on the Brookwood Russian memorial in the case of the Russian Armoured car men. There may be other examples but thats all I can think of offhand

Most of the names on the Brookwood (Russia) Memorial have now been deleted and their place of commemoration returned to their original Russian burial grounds.