Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

History of S Battery RHA

teejay65

I have a copy. Is there anything particular that you are looking for? The book is very difficult to find; I have only seen one for sale in the last ten years and that is the one that I now have which is not in great condition.

I have a copy. Is there anything particular that you are looking for? The book is very difficult to find; I have only seen one for sale in the last ten years and that is the one that I now have which is not in great condition.

Thank you for your swift reply; I believe my father served with S Battery both before & during WW1. He often spoke of sevice in India & Mesopotamia & I'd like to know the actual times the battery were based there, also where they served during the war. I'd be most grateful if you can give me any of those details.

Regards, Tom

Tom: S Battery, RHA left Durban, S Africa in January 1906 and sailed for India where it relieved L Battery, RHA at Secunderabad. In November 1907 the Battery moved by train to Lucknow. From early 1910 to January 1912 the Battery was stationed at Umballa and then moved to Bangalore to relieve O Battery, RHA where it was when war was declared in August 1914.

On 24 August 1914 the Battery transferred some men, horses and vehicles to N Battery, RHA to bring that battery up to wartime strength and on 3 February the remainder of the Battery moved to Bombay and embarked on the SS Aragon but at 1pm orders were given to disembark and prepare to join Indian Expedition Force D to the Persian Gulf.

S Battery embarked at Bombay on 16 February 1915 and disembarked at Basra on 24 February 1915. It served in Mesopotamia from then until embarking for Karachi in March 1919, taking part in the attempts to relieve Kut. It embarked from Karachi on 29 March and reached Plymouth on 17 April 1919. The same day it proceeded to Trowbridge. In January 1920 it moved to Larkhill and in May 1920 it became 144th Battery, RFA.

Regards, Dick Flory

Many thanks Dick for extracting that history for me. It is only in the last couple of years that I've been trying to discover my dad's service history & have only remembered the basic details from the stories he told. The dates you've supplied appear to tie in for his sevice in India & Mesopotamia, but sometime later, during the war, I think he was fransferred to the RFA.

Best regards, Tom