Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shoulder titles

tstewa

Gday

Im wondering if anybody can tell me what the Royal Highlanders Black watch WW1 shoulder title might have been? I have seen it as BW in places?

Also the shoulder title T>4>Gordon is that to signify the Territorials 4th battalion Gordon Highlanders?

Thansk

Hello,

The Black Watch wore "RH" titles during WW1. A territorial title would be, for example, "T/6/RH. The Gordon title you mention is indeed that of the 4th Territorial battalion.

Owain.

Hello,

Just to confirm that the Black Watch regulars and Service battalions wore 'RH' as a shoulder title during the Great War [TF had their own variations, but later also were issued with the Standard regimental type as a war economy messure]. It was issued in two sizes. The larger size being worn on the Great coat. In 1921 they changed to a curved title reading 'Black Watch'. By 1930 [can't remember the exact date of introduction off hand!] they were wearing a straight title, roughly the same size as the WW1 period title, reading 'BW'.

All these titles were produced in brass. The BW was later produced in Staybright.

Regards,

Stewart

Beware...the title BW is often flogged as a shoulder title for the Black Watch which is bogus. The title BW is for Barracks Warden!

Dr B

Thanks all for your replies! Its really apprecaited.

Does anyone know how hard or easy the T/4/Gordon & RH shoulder title are to come by?

Thanks again for the help

They should not be too hard to find, there are a few online dealers who usually have them. The Gordon's one also can be found in white metal, which was worn on the scarlet doublet. These are a bit harder to find.

If you send me a PM I can send the url of a reliable source.

Regards,

Stewart

They should not be too hard to find, there are a few online dealers who usually have them. The Gordon's one also can be found in white metal, which was worn on the scarlet doublet. These are a bit harder to find.

If you send me a PM I can send the url of a reliable source.

Regards,

Stewart

4th Gordons titles have shown up with some frequency on eBay recently.

and yes they wore T/4/Gordons as illustrated at the top HERE

I have not been able to definitively demonstrate that they wore the 3 line title throughout the war - I have a suspicion they may have adopted the 1 line Gordon title later on. (if anyone has information or a source on this I would appreciate it!)

Do you have a particular interest in the 4th Gordons? If so I may be able to help, I have been researching the battalion for several years.

Chris