Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Graves in Gaza

Guest Pete Wood

Guest Pete Wood

Sad news as reported by The Times, today:

British graves desecrated

In a sign of the growing anger at the publication of the pictures in the Arab world, Palestinian vandals with axes and shovels desecrated or destroyed 32 graves in a Commonwealth military cemetery in Gaza City.

Photographs of US and British soldiers abusing Iraqi prisoners were stuck to some of the tombstones. "We will take revenge," was written on one tombstone.

I'm watching the news at the moment and am appalled at the desecration of CWGC graves in Gaza. This is being done in protest at the 'ill treatment' of Iraqi prisoners.

:angry:

Mick

I'm surprised the cemeteries in Iraq haven't been similarly desecrated in reprisal. Sadly, I suppose they have different targets to take out their own anger on.

Ladies and Gentlemen

You are wandering off topic and any more abusive postings (no matter how mild) will be deleted - as will those off-topic.

Just a gentle nudge back towards the Forum rules.

(Sorry if you are referring to my posting, Terry, for that is the commonplace monica of the said Newspaper Editor in Private Eye. Just thought I'd advertise since - even though previous comments were off-topic - it might make interesting reading for those with an interest in the background of this contentious issue.)

I think the vandalism also highlights the fact that for over eighty years such cemeteries have otherwise been maintained to a good if not excellent standard in Mid East countries by the CWGC with the co-operation of the various regional governments. In this region there has been: WW2, of course; often violent decolonialistion (esp. with regard to Palestine either side of WW2) and subsequent military, political or regal dictatorships pursuing often stridently nationalistic policies; sporadic regional conflict; and Gaza itself has been in both a literal and metaphorical warzone since WW2.

It is shocking to see such things, if more as evidence of irredeemable anti-Western sentiment as a desecration of war dead, but hardly surprising given the rise in international tensions. (Similar things occurred in France; and as there, it is probably a fraction of a percent of the population that would condone or partake in such actions.)

Cheers

Richard

The damage to the graves is to be much regretted but, as I said in the other thread, entirely unsurprising.

You have a situation where many local people consider the UK has occupied a neighbouring Arab country, is abusing the citizens of that country and, apparently, is giving support to the Israeli government's policy towards Palestinians, then it would be surprising if nothing happened.

John

I was able to see the cemetery last night as were many, this was on BBC World. Many of the headstones had pictures of atrocities committed against prisoners attached to them, so the reason could not be more clear.