Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown badge - can you help to ID?

robert_sfl

Please excuse the very basic question. I have been searching for some while to identify this badge, perhaps you can give me a hint. Probably it is only a commemorative type badge, maybe not even anything official. Yet I would be happy to find out more because it is one of two badges we have of my great grandfather.

It is quite small in size, about 33mm or a bit ore than an inch wide.

med_urg_vorne.jpg

The rear side is quite crude.

med_urg_rueck.jpg

The other badge is a Bulgarian Tsar Ferdinand I merit medal. He was in a unit that was temporarily assigned to the Bulgarian army on the Balkans.

It looks to be an Iron Cross Commemorative badge,possibly a "sweetheart" type badge worn by recipients NoK or "WaGs" {in todays parlance}

Its a Prussian piece, unofficial, "trench-art" often given to wives or sweet-hearts,

the backing piece is often part of a driving band for a shell or a piece of shrapnel.

Connaught Stranger.

Thanks for your help! That would make perfect sense, I think he was engaged during the war. A short while after he married and settled down.

It looks enamelled to me, a bit too sophisticated for trench work. I think it's a purchased "sweetheart" broach as previously suggested.

"Trench-Art" is a generic name that covers a multitude of these items supossedly made in the trenches.

I dont think the Germans actually have a name for "Trench-Art".

But it for sure not an official military decoration.

Connaught Stranger.