Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo from house clearance

Tyneside Chinaman

Hi

Any comments on the attached would be welcomed

I have just bought a batch of photo's that came out of a house in Consett, County Durham. All are easily identified because of the family name Wigham. There are photo's of 6/DLI (the local Territorials) 11/DLI, 3/Tyneside Scottish and 3/Black Watch.

However I am stuck on this one, as you can see he wears a 10 on one collar a short title and a Battle Patch on the right shoulder along with four overseas service chevrons.

There was a John Wigham served in the 10th Hussars but he was awarded a 1914 Star so would have had an additional red overseas service cheveron.

Like I said any comments gratefully received.

post-27843-1263663344.jpg

post-27843-1263663353.jpg

post-27843-1263663362.jpg

Exellent photo, certainly not Hussars, he has the 37th Division horse shoe flash on his sleeve. I am not sure about the ten on his collar but as he has 4 overseas chevrons it must be 1918 and he has a small shoulder title. The 10th Royal Fusiliers were in that Division at the time so there is a possabilty he could be in that Battalion. JG

I'd go with 10RF, too. I've seen photos of the 10th Royal Fusiliers with collar numbers before; as they were a sort of "Pals" Battalion ("Bankers" - in those days the profession had a degree more social acceptability), I suspect it was a reasonable affectation. He doesn't have a grenade above the shoulder title, but it looks as if it could easily be "RF".

Hi

Any comments on the attached would be welcomed

I have just bought a batch of photo's that came out of a house in Consett, County Durham. All are easily identified because of the family name Wigham. There are photo's of 6/DLI (the local Territorials) 11/DLI, 3/Tyneside Scottish and 3/Black Watch.

However I am stuck on this one, as you can see he wears a 10 on one collar a short title and a Battle Patch on the right shoulder along with four overseas service chevrons.

There was a John Wigham served in the 10th Hussars but he was awarded a 1914 Star so would have had an additional red overseas service cheveron.

Like I said any comments gratefully received.

Any chance of a look at the 3/Black Watch picture

Gents,

Thanks for the replies, I must admit I have never seen numbers on the collar in Briitish photo's before.

The 3rd Black Watch card is a postcard adressed to

Private T N Wigham

S/11376 C Coy

3rd Black Watch

Nigg Camp

Rossshire

From his son Hardy.

On checking this out he previously served in 11/DLI from31/8/14 until 13/215 when he was discharged as unfit.

Thanks again

John

Gents,

Thanks for the replies, I must admit I have never seen numbers on the collar in Briitish photo's before.

The 3rd Black Watch card is a postcard adressed to

Private T N Wigham

S/11376 C Coy

3rd Black Watch

Nigg Camp

Rossshire

From his son Hardy.

On checking this out he previously served in 11/DLI from31/8/14 until 13/215 when he was discharged as unfit.

Thanks for info.good find

m

Thanks again

John

Stewart,

as requested One of the men must be 2431 Private Matthew William Wigham but which one is anybodies guess.

regards

John

post-27843-1263833477.jpg

Hello.Somthing funny about the hair on the forhead on the first photo.A bit pointy.But the man seated on the right in the second photo has the pointed hair also .? Tom

Hello.Somthing funny about the hair on the forhead on the first photo.A bit pointy.But the man seated on the right in the second photo has the pointed hair also .? Tom

Looks as if he's wearing a syrup (1st photo)

Hello John,

It's a pity they are not all named. I always hope to find a photo of Sergeant John D Williams. He was wounded in April 1915, had his leg off! I knew his son, also a DLI man.

Regards,

Stewart

Cant see if the "syrup" chap has a wound stripe? A syrup could hide a nasty scar perhaps? Pure speculation on my part. Interesting that the horseshoe is dark...I raised this issue on a picture of a 37th man on another thread and Andrew Upton posted some excellent info re b and w photos and how colours show up...excellant image all he same.

TT

Exellent photo, certainly not Hussars, he has the 37th Division horse shoe flash on his sleeve. I am not sure about the ten on his collar but as he has 4 overseas chevrons it must be 1918 and he has a small shoulder title. The 10th Royal Fusiliers were in that Division at the time so there is a possabilty he could be in that Battalion. JG

............. or later!

A very interesting and really quite important photo which I agree must be the 10th RF on account of the yellow 37 Div sign, which as has been said elsewhere shows up dark on period photos. It's unusual for collar badges to be worn by other ranks, but not unknown - didn't the Bermondsey battalion have them? At least one other RF battalion wore collar grenades. Never seen a unit wearing anything on just one collar before.

John - next time I'm home I'll dig out a photo of either the 10th or 11th NF wearing numerals on their emergency blues.

I was taught chemistry by a Mr Whigham at Framwellgate Moor comprehensive, which is about 10 miles from Consett.

I may be imagining things, but there seems a family resemblance to me. He even had the moustache!

Looks as if he's wearing a syrup (1st photo)

I definitely agree with that analysis. Standard infantry issue?

The seated soldier is from the 10th Royal Fusiliers. If you read Ray westlake's book on the Kitchener Army he shows this badge in use. The collar numeral was perculilar to the 10 RF.

Well I never sitting on the shelf behind my right shoulder for the last twenty years and I've never read that caption.

Blinkered by interest in other regiments and divisions.

Max Thanks for the headsup I will now read the book properly.

John