Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification of WW1 Submarine sought

Guest Beret

The attached photo shows Chief Engineer Ernest Richard MORRIS (the one in full uniform) standing on a WW1 Submarine with the number 54 visible.

I wish to ascertain the class and possible identification of the sub. All I know is that later Morris joined another Sub E5 which went missing in March 1916.

Thanks Arthur.

post-24-1084205975.jpg

You have a choice with L54 or E54 they were the only ones with numbers up to 54.

The L54 had a large conning tower so it looks like an E class.

Aye

Malcolm

Guest Pete Wood

It's most definitely E54.

The L class wasn't built until after the armistice.

Your photo almost certainly shows the E54 as a freshly completed submarine. She was only completed at the end of January 1916, with trials in early Feb I believe.

The E54 sank the German U-boat (using torpedos) U-81 on May 1st 1917.

There is a small photo here of the E54 moored by a supply ship

Sorry, C Class, No was I.54 - but it also had a big Conning Tower.

RT is right, L series No 54 was 1919. It is E class.

Pobody's nerfect!!

Aye

Malcolm

Some of the L Class were in service right at the tail end of the war; fifteen were completed prior to Armistace and L10 was lost to an enemy warship.

The photo is, as stated, almost certainly an E Class (largest class of WW1 RN subs); it does not have a fitted bridge shield as did the L Class, so almost certainly dates from her early service.

Cheers

Richard

Guest Pete Wood

"Pobody's nerfect!!" ;)

You're right, of course, however I was referring to L54 which was built after the armistice. But I see my sentence was vague, so thanks for the correction. :)

RT

I always sought to avoid becoming a pedantic g*t, but having written about the subject ... well, you know how it is! :D

Did Ian B give you the details from one Richard Hill's Death Plaque? I've just bought it off him so can supply details when I receive it.

Cheers

Richard

The photo is of the C class submarine C24.

Up to spring 1915 submarine pendants were flag superior 'I' and a number. C24s number was I.54 but painted on the conning tower was just the number, not the letter, so the photo above is of C24 prior to the spring of 1915.

After this date the these pendants numbers were replaced by the subs class letter and number, so E54 would have had that number painted on her conning tower, also she did not commission until 18 May 1916.

Here is a photo of a sister vessel the C29, showing the pendant number 59 and a similar conning tower layout, i'll post a picture of E55 next

Dave

post-24-1084274294.jpg

Heres is a picture of E55, showing class number, painted as pendant on the conning tower.

This info from British Warships 1914-1919 by dittmar and Colledge and British Submarines of WW1 by Paul Kemp

Regards

Dave

post-24-1084274434.jpg

Guest Pete Wood

Good one, Dave. :)

I sincerely appreciate the info and the correction. That's one more new fact I've gleaned, this day.

:D